GUN Cory Maye Update (repost?)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ludeykrus, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Ludeykrus

Ludeykrus New Member

Just came across this while browsing:

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2006_09_01_xavierthoughts_archive.html

About a third of the way down, it mentions Cory had his death sentence overturned. Basically, he fired upon an officer that stormed his condo w/ a no-knock search. No warrant, it was only for the next-door condo. Cory ended up shooting the first officer, who he thought was an intruder, in an effort to protect his toddler. He was sentenced to the death penalty in Mississippi.

More reading here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Maye

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well that's good news, hopfully they'll get the verdict overturned soon.

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

awesome. I forgot about that guy.

4. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

Sounds like that whole thing is a cluster fuck. He obviously wasn't living in a good part of town, and had a stolen gun...call me an ass for stereotyping, but this guy wasn't completly innocent.

But on the other hand even if they DID announce they were police, if banging on a door woke me from a sleep, and then I heard someone come in the back door, I'm not going to think "Ahh, I'll just chill I'm sure it's the cops"

And to top it off, the fucking cop that died was unexperienced with raids, and was the police cheif's son.

5. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Are you sure that the gun was stolen? I read that he just bought it second hand from someone. Sure he was in a bad part of town. He was also unemployed. He didn't have a record, though. He was legally allowed to own that gun. It's not his fault that the cop had the wrong fucking house. The guy was protecting his kid for christ's sake. Sorry but the fact that this guy is going through so much for this PISSES ME OFF TO NO END. It's just one more example of the govt being above the law and being able to walk all over our constitutional rights.

6. cabriolet

cabriolet ...

The gun turned up stolen, he claims he bought it from a friend and didn't know. Whether he did or didn't know is irrelevant, it didn't help his story at all.

Fact is he was black, living in a bad neighborhood, next to a drug house, and shot the police cheif's son with a stolen gun.

Don't get me wrong, no knock warrants are bullshit because of this reason. Even if he was fucked up on coke, murdered the guy he stole the gun from, and had a record three times as tall as he was, he still had the basic right to defend himself against an apparent intruder (just not with a gun if felonies were on the supposed wrap sheet).

However, I don't think this guy was as innocent of a martyer as people are making him out to be. I don't think he shouldn't be in jail on charges for murder, just for the stolen gun. I don't care if your best friend wants to sell a gun, call the law and find out if it's stolen before you buy it.

I personally think a combination of that and the fact it was the police cheif's son that fucked him. After that it was easy to plant or find (speculation) the smoked joint and bag with "drug resedue" and make this worse. It further didn't help him he had a shitty, in experienced lawyer.

cliffs: I personally don't think this guy was the angel he's portrayed to be, but I also don't think he should be in jail for murdering a cop.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I agree he probably wasn't an angel, if he was charged with possesion of stolen property (the gun) I wouldn't have any objections to that he may or may not of known it was hot(NY doesnt allow FTF handgun sales but I've done alot of FTF long gun sales and buys I've never called in to had #'s run :o unlikely but possible one of them is hot) and what he had a dime bag of weed? woopdey fucking doo not like he had a pound of it.