corvette crew

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by hurleywurley, Sep 13, 2007.

1. hurleywurley

hurleywurley OT Supporter

[​IMG]

who makes these braces? and do they make a noticable difference?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i'd be surpised of they help. Does the stock rear-diff come apart from the transmission, easily?

3. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

I think it's more to help with twisting load from launching/heavy power output coming out of turns....

check the popular tuners for them

4. hurleywurley

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

They're not going to do much, I can tell that much looking at the design of the bars. You need diagonal bars to reinforce the straight bars -- without those, it won't do squat compared to what the solid cast transmission housing can already withstand.

6. you know me

shut up faggot

7. deusexaethera

You shut up, faggot. You know I'm right, you're just trying to piss me off.

8. Im sure you are right. I mean DTE only builds transmissions and puts money into developing stuff like this. But you, you are a poster on an internet board. You surely must know everything. I mean you have all the info in the world at your finger tips.

cliffs: you are a dumbass. Shut the fuck up and get out of this sub forum.

9. OP unless you are making enough power to severly distort the trans/diff I dont think you would notice a difference. Maybe alittle on the launch but that would be it.

However if you are making alot of power Im sure it would help plant the power

10. operationrob

operationrob OT Supporter

11. you know me

you're wrong faggot suck a dick and die

12. you know me

deusexaethera is a faggot. That's clear just by looking at his posts. I post on an internet board so it must be true

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

14. deusexaethera

Look at the fucking design. It bolts to the front and back of the assembly, and connects the two with metal rods. All it does is keep the transmission and diff casing from twisting, and the straight rods just aren't going to cut it.

You can think whatever you want of me, I could care less, but this is a matter of engineering. It won't fucking work.

15. You are right. Also, consider that the trans and diff cases are cast aluminum. I know from experience that cast aluminum doesn't twist or flex much, it breaks. In the case of the Vette transaxle the aluminum housings would have twisted to the point of breaking long before those longitudinal brace bars could muster enough tension to stop the twisting. There would need to be diagonal bracing between the horizontal bars to stiffen that thing against twisting. The only added strength that brace would give would be to resist the trans separating longitudinally from the diff. Of course, I have NEVER heard of that being as issue.

16. and Im sure you are right. Let me guess you have a degree in engineering? And you work for a company that makes something similar to this, thats why you know just what kind of load this brace is there for right? i mean you must if you are gonna say it doesnt work while this company has put money into designing/amnufacturing it.

Right?

but then what do I know, Im not an engineer, just a car guy

17. hurleywurley

18. I'm sure the people who designed it know that it does exactly what it is designed to do... separate corvette owners from their money. Seriously, 99% of the people who buy this are never going to race or even drive their cars hard. The corvette aftermarket is a fantastic place to make a lot of money because it's a market full of people who just buy things for their cars so they can show it off to their friends. In this case, the brace looks cool and I'm sure that's why most of the people buy them. It doesn't have to be effective, and the people who sell it know that. I know a guy who campaigns a Rolex GT class corvette and he doesn't use anything like this, because it's neither needed nor, in this case, effective.

If it would make you feel any better, I can post links to MANY corvette parts that don't do a damn thing.

19. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

seemed to work well so far for me.. :o

20. You have one?

21. ok since you are not deusexaethera I will except this answer. Like I said Im no engineer and have no knowledge of this. Thanks:wiggle:.

22. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

23. deusexaethera

Thank you for being fair. I'm not always full of shit.

24. deusexaethera

I have a degree in engineering, yes. No, I don't build transmission reinforcements, but if it's any consolation, I had to take physics with calculus and finite element analysis, and the guys in the next office over whom I hang out with on a regular basis DO build reinforced cages. That hold lasers and solar panels. In space. Which, for the sake of clarity, means they have to withstand 20G rocket launches.

(my company launches those rockets, among other things.)

If you knew a goddamned thing about structural engineering yourself, you'd know that triangles are very strong and rectangles are very weak.