Corvette as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Maffy29, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I've always wanted to own a Corvette (C6). Been on of my favorite cars for as long as I can remember. How feasable is it to be a daily driver? Anybody here daily drive a Corvette?

2. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

C6's are very reliable and definitely capable of serving as your DD. They're comfortable and forgiving. The only reason against it is cost. You're taking a car that already loses value quickly and tacking on tens of thousands of miles. Add to that the increased fuel/tire/brake costs over a "normal" DD. Factor in the cost of insurance over a "normal" car.

If you're financially comfortable and you want to DD a C6 there's no reason not to. It will be a fun car and you'll be happy. But if you can just barely afford to buy one you should probably wait awhile, because it will end up costing more than you expected and you'll take a big hit when you go to sell it.

3. GunShow

GunShow You had best unfuck yourself

I used to daily drive a C5 Z06 for about two years and it worked just fine as a daily driver.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I knew there was going to be additional costs. I currently drive a 03 Maxima. How about maintenence on a C6? Along the sames lines as any Chevrolet? Of course I'm going to pick up someting for winter driving as I know a RWD is next to useless in the snow (drove a 300ZX for a couple years).

I got a new job and considering this setup for my next auto purchase.

5. I daily drive a C5. It's been nothing but reliable and it makes a fine daily driver. In town i average about 20mpg and on the freeway mid 30's are possible if you keep your foot out of it.

6. 396Hawk

396Hawk Active Member

No difference between a C6 and another hi-po car, high-end SUV or import (Benz, BMW, etc.)

7. torchC5

torchC5 New Member

I have a stock, 97 C5 coupe MN6. I bought it used about 6 years ago with 42,000 miles on her. Since then I have racked up another 60,000 miles of pure daily driving, with a few track runs on the side.

Other then the few electrical gremlins that these cars are infamous for, its been a great daily driver! Other then learning to drive a vehicle like this in terms of the ride height, entry and exit, and parking issues (back-in always!) its totally easy to use.

When I first bought the car it was in desperate need of tires. The clutch was also replaced soon after because oil had somehow seaped into the housing and was getting on the clutch pad itself, causing it to slip. Maintenance is not that expensive, considering a lot of the work you can do yourself - brakes, oil changes, tune-ups. Oh, and the gas mileage is very respectable too.

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with this car as a daily driver and weekend track racer.

8. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

nothing wrong with using a C6 as a daily driver. I may pick up a C5 Z06 as a DD soon

9. tommyortom

tommyortom New Member

cam/loud exhaust ftw.

10. Mjolnir

Mjolnir WHM6D > *

PM Kdubb and ask about his experience.

11. kumar_a

kumar_a Well-Known Member

I had a C5 Z06 as a daily driver and now have a C6 Z06 as a daily.

Compared to my S4, the Vettes actually get better gas mileage. The stereo, AC, and ride are pretty similar. If you dont need a back seat and dont have to deal with snowy winters, Corvettes make fine daily drivers.

12. CW85T-Type

CW85T-Type Master of the obvious

I have a C5 Z06 as a daily driver. only had it a few months but I love it!

13. SilverTurtle

SilverTurtle New Member

I daily drove my '99 FRC for over a year and loved it... upgraded the stereo to my tastes and got about 31mpg on the highway daily... and drove it in the ice on a couple of days, too... never any problems until some jacka$$ ran me off the road in the ice storm last January

I highly recommend 4th gen f-bodies and C5s as daily drivers... not sure about the C6... plan on getting a C6 Z06 soon, so I'll have more information after I get it.

14. ZACKMORRIS

ZACKMORRIS Active Member

Very Daily Driveable. The LS series motors are one of the best motors ever produced.