Corticosteroid-induced acne

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by cleanerupper, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cleanerupper

cleanerupper Guest

I was put on Prednisone from the beginning of July to the beginning of September because of a bad flare up of my Crohn's Disease. Crohn's is basically inflammation in the intestines, in my case causing me to pour blood out of my ass.

Anyways, this stuff gave me the most hideous acne/rash type thing all over my face, neck, shoulders, chest and back. After several trips to the dermatologist and months of treatment it's only half gone.

Anyone had experience with this type of acne?

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Holy shit dude that sucks!! Hope you're doing better.

As far as the acne, I dunno bro.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

i took a medicine like that for something else and my doc said it is a allegic reaction ot it, and u should stop taking and get another similiar medication.

4. cleanerupper

cleanerupper Guest

Yeah I stopped taking it in September, so I was on it for a total of 2 months. The acne, on the other hand has only gotten a little bit better. I've tried several topical treatments prescribed by my dermatologist since then, and they only help a little bit.

5. BlinginAssRims

BlinginAssRims Now I'm blaumped out

pantothenic acid really helped me with my acnes

6. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

Wow, that sounds like my coworker that's currently struggling with Colitis. He hasn't had any acne problems that I've seen though...

Good luck with your recovery!

7. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

interesting why they put u on that. id tend to think immunosuppressants would be used. i actually did some research work on IBD and crohn's.

8. jessb20hatch

jessb20hatch Let's bang like Myosin & Actin

One of my best friends has crohns and called me last night begging if i had any pain killers b/c her stomach hurt her so bad :wtc: hope it all get's better for you

9. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

Wow man hope you're okay. :hug:

10. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

Prednisone is an immunosuppressant.

11. bigdamray

bigdamray New Member

Prednisone is some bad stuff!! I've been on it several times for pnemonia, it will fuck you up!!

12. Marijuanair

Marijuanair Remember to have your pet spayed or neutered! OT Supporter

I have a corticosteroid cream for external use, it actuall seems to help if I apply it to a pimple (it is prescribed to get rid of other skin growths like warts).

13. PaddoK

PaddoK Some dolphins get massacred, some dolphins get blo

damn two months is a long time to be on that stuff. My doctors were "concerned" with having me do a heavy dose for the anti inflamatory properties, just for one week.

14. Layne Staley

Layne Staley New Member

COPD patients are pretty much on corticosteroids for life....you should see what it does to their skin. It becomes about as fragile as tissue paper and looks disgusting.

15. Shiftknob

Shiftknob New Member

Yep, one pinch to break the skin

16. cleanerupper

cleanerupper Guest

Thanks for the all kind words. Yes, Prednisone is basically the Mac Daddy of all corticosteroids, some very strong stuff. After being hostpitalized, it was either Prednisone or move on to stronger things (injections, possibly surgery).

Has anyone heard of UV light being used to treat acne? Kind of like a tanning bed but with UV light.

17. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

Accutane is the best if you have severe acne

18. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

I have crohn's as well. I had a really bad flare up when I was 16 and lost a shit load of weight, had to have 30" of my small intestine removed as it was the width of a pencil...came out of surgery weighing 64lbs...was basically almost dead. heh (Un)fortunately I was on prednisone while in my worst conditions, I'd take my pills and they'd pass within 5 minutes, so I never really had the side affects from it, however, after my surgery they kept me on them and as I was getting better and able to retain my food and such I had side affects, I had insomnia really bad, moon face, sore joints, muscle cramps, etc, but never really had the acne problems. The shit is the fucking devil. Glad to hear that you got off it. Like the person above said, if it's really bad then accuane seems to be the best from what I hear for severe acne.

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

it's very propable however that because of the prednisone your doctor may not want to perscribe accutane. WHile on one hand, all of the doctors that avoid perscribing it are fucking douchebags and I've talked to at least a hundred people on OT and elsewhere who took the stuff without a problem (including myself at 14), it does have some potential effects on cholesterol or immune system functions (forget which). Defintely ask about it though.

20. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Sunlight helps and it's probably because of the UV light but it's not a magic trick.

21. cleanerupper

cleanerupper Guest

Yeah Accutane was the next step, however I talked to my GI doctor and he said to avoid it because it could cause a flareup with my Crohn's.

22. vtectyper

vtectyper New Member

Im 4 months into it and my cholesterol and triglycerides and whatever else their is all perfect. They say its supposed to make it worse but I havnt had a problem at all except the usual dry skin and dry lips

23. cleanerupper

cleanerupper Guest

Man that is the pits...I hope you're doing well now. This is one hell of a disease I'll tell ya.

24. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

yeah, I stopped taking it 5 years ago and my lips are still chapped constantly without chapstick... but my skin doesn't get super dried out like it used to.

sucks but it beats having a pimpley face for life. I used to have some HUGE ass zits all over my face, neck, and back. I'm so glad I got it taken care of at a young age.

25. donkeykong

donkeykong New Member

i also have crohn's disease and instead of taking prednisolone i have been taking entocort (budesonide) which according to my doctor is the same as prednisolone without the systemic effects (ie no moon face/acne/fluid retention etc). the only problem is entocort will only work for small bowel disease not large bowel, and its expensive. maybe next time your doctor is going to prescribe you prednisolone ask him about entocort. it seems to work for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.