Corrupt Windows Install?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bcr821, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

I recently got my motherboard replaced/repaired from asus and i just got it back. I've got 2 WD Raptors setup in a RAID 0 array (sata). I recently reinstalled windows and ran into a problem. When i download a file, doesn't matter which file or how many times i download the file i get some sort of corrupt or incomplete error.

I had this problem before and i had reinstalled windows like 3 times and i still ran into the same problem. Could it be the RAID array?

I'm at school right now, but when i get home from work i'm going to take the computer and pull out the raid array and see if i can get windows up and running without the raid array on either of the two raptors. If that doesn't work i have no idea what it could be. I'm thinking it could be one of the raptors is going bad....although if that was the case why would windows install?

2. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

:wtc:

you're letting me down OT!

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Did you delete and recreate the array after you got the new board?

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You say you have two Raptors in a RAID 0, but you didn't specify whether Windows is installed on the RAID or on another disk, and you didn't specify whether the motherboard, or a PCI card, or Windows is controlling the RAID.

1. If you're running Windows from a RAID 0, you're an idiot and you need to jump off a cliff. If Windows isn't on the RAID 0, you're cool though.

2. If Windows is controlling the RAID 0, all you can really do is copy all the data off the RAID 0, delete the RAID, recreate it, and copy the data back.

3. If the motherboard or a PCI card is controlling the RAID 0, you need to open the user's manual and find out whether the card will force you to "initialize" every new RAID you create, or whether it will let you use a new RAID without initializing it first.

3a. If you have to initialize every new RAID you create, refer back to option 2.

3b. If you don't have to initialize every new RAID you create, then go into the setup program for the RAID controller, delete the RAID, recreate it, and DO NOT INITIALIZE IT or all your data will go away.

Still letting you down?

5. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

:bowdown:

OT never lets me down, i was just temperarly disappointed...

Sorry for the lack of information but when i made the post Windows was installed on the RAID array :hsd: and it was being controlled by the motherboard.

After i got off work last night i did some work to the computer to try to diagnose the problem...My motherboard has 2 on board raid controllers, a nVidia one and a SiL one. I tried to run the array on both of the controllers and the same thing happened on each of them.

I got frustrated with the RAID thing and decided to just kill the RAID setup and just do one raptor instead of two. I installed windows on each of the raptors individually and on the same thing happened on both of the drives. Any time i download a file (in a RAID array or out of one) i get some sort of corrupt file error.

I've narrowed it down a bit, in that i know it's not the hard drives (unless both of them are fucked...i've got a 120gb ide drive that i'm going to try to install windows on to see if that will work) or motherboard (given that i just got it replaced from ASUS). I doubt this would a a processor issue, the PSU would have nothing to do with it, the only other thing i can think of would be ram. Could faulty ram have something to do with this?

I'm also pretty sure it's not the windows install CD, becuase my dad has used this copy many times, i've used it many times, and so has a really good buddy of mine. It worked fine up untill this computer, it seems to install on every other comptuer just fine...

I'm quickly running out of ideas....:wtc:

6. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

like 4 different times...even did a low lvl format on both drives

7. deusexaethera

RAID 0's fail all the time because there's no error-checking and no error-correction. "Real" RAIDs actually suffer errors on a regular basis, but they're almost always fixable automatically. Only when a drive fails to operate for more than a few thousandths of a second do you have to rebuild the array.

Buy a third Raptor and build a three-disk RAID 5 or RAID 3. I have a RAID 3 running a special algorithm that makes it as fast as a RAID 0, and I love it.

(The RAID card I use is made by NetCell, you can get those really cheap now because NetCell is OOB.)

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

What chipset is on the board?

9. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe... nForce 3 i tihnk...

10. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

fuck!

didn't fix it....still get corrupt file errors

11. Left

Left Lakers Fan For Life!

It's NF4 actually. Is the fan on the motherboard, the northbridge fan, spinning? I've seen alot of those deluxe boards have data corruption because the fan dies.

12. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

yes it's a new board...just got it from ASUS

13. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

This just appears to be windows problem, not a RAID problem since you've eliminated the array. What's the actual error message and where are you downloading it to? And with which program are you downloading from?

14. deusexaethera

One more reason to use a RAID controller in a PCI slot.

"Hmm. Hey guys, how about if we take all of these blistering-hot parts and put them conveniently right next to each other! What could possibly go wrong?"

15. Bcr821

Bcr821 New Member

depends on the program...just usually says something about corrupt file, or incomplete file