corrupt files on my external hd

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by grind83, Dec 24, 2005.

1. grind83

grind83 New Member

I assume some kind of virus got to my hd and now some of the folders are corrupt. Because of this I can't open them nor can I delete them.

Is there a possibility that this whatever did this initialy will continue to corrupt more files, and is there any way that I can delete these folders?

2. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

More likely it is a hardware issue and not a virus.

3. grind83

grind83 New Member

a problem with the actual hd?

if so I need to transfer everything to a new hd immediately, the stuff on it is very important to me and I have spent a lto of time putting it all together

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

More likely a cable or the enclosure. Disks tend to just fail completely. I would backup and either run disk check or just reformat the drive first. It could have just been a fluke from powering it down while it was still writing data or something like that.

5. grind83

grind83 New Member

Im always careful about not powering down while its still working and the enclosure is fine with my other drive.

Stupid question I know, but how do you run disk check? And why would I now be able to delete corrupt files, I dont understand that at all.

And thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Right-click the drive in "my computer", select Properties/Tools and click Check Now. Be sure to back it up first if you can. If there is a problem with the drive or signaling the disk check could corrupt it further.