GUN Corrosion

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by whitecouch, Oct 21, 2006.

1. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I have a military issued M-16A2 rifle and it has started to obtain some surface rust on the barrel. I'm not overly concerned about it but finding proper chemicals or even a proper replacement here in Iraq could prove to be difficult. Any thoughts on how to discretely remove the corrosion?

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Have access to steel wool? 00 or 000 apply decent coating of oil the areas with rust lightly rub it with the steel wool be sure to keep oiling the area or the steel wool will damage the finish. Other then that have someone send you the proper stuff in a care package.

3. whitecouch

whitecouch spendin' our golden years in OT Supporter

I can get my hands on steel wool. I considered it but I did not want to damage the finish. The majority of the rust is under the handguards with very little noticable foward of them and a slight amount on the foward sight. It does not help that my particular rifle is older than any other A2 I have seen here and the constant mess of sand in every crevice is doing wonders for it's aging!

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As long as you keep it oiled as you sand it with the steel wool it wont damage the finish. I hardly ever remove my handguards :o Maybe see if someone back home can send you some of the silicon gun wipes they'll keep it protected with out leaving it to oily so sand and shit doesnt stick to it.