Corrections to my routine?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ultimate_Ninja, May 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

Weighed 250 lbs in January of this year, decided I wanted to be skinnier. No more regular soda, no more snacks, no more food after dinner. Did 30mins cardio on a bike every day. Got down to around 227 by mid-April.

Mid-April, I decided I wanted to start adding some muscle. Got a gym membership. Go six times a week.

Here's my daily routine:
    • Wake up at 6:00a.m., eat 1 cup Cheerios w/ skim milk. Take vitamin supplement (BodyTech Ultimate Man Elite). Drink 32oz green tea on the way to work.
    • 9:00 a.m. 16oz protein shake, 1/2 scoop casein 1/2 scoop whey (ON Gold Standard)
    • Noon-ish eat lunch. This is where I need to have a little bit more self control. Ideally, I usually just get a six-inch Subway sub with no cheese and/or mayo. However, the gods have decided to create Fresh-Mex burrito places near my work. :squint:
    • 3:00 p.m. Protein shake, same as 9:00 a.m.
    • 5:15 p.m. Work out starts with half hour on the elliptical at a high crossramp and resistance setting. Try and keep my heart rate between 145-155bpm for at least 20 minutes of the workout. After cardio, I do my weight training. Upper body MWF, legs/core on TRS, no workout on Sunday. 1 scoop whey immediately before and after workout. Could I cut the whey down to half a scoop on either side of the workout?
    • 7:00 p.m. eat dinner, whatever is made but keep portions smaller. Take another vitamin supplement.
    • Bed time: (usually 10, 10:30) 1 scoop casein.
    I weighed in this morning at 217 lbs, which is less than I've ever weighed before in my adult life. :wavey: I hit a plateau at 220, but I think that's because I started to put on a decent amount of muscle mass (nothing to take pictures of yet, but MUCH more than I've ever had before - I can actually see both biceps and triceps!!!). I appear to have gotten past the 220 mark.

I seem to be doing good and headed in the right direction, but I was wondering if you guys had any insights as to things I could correct easily that would lead to better results.

I won't do the carb-free thing. I tried a no-carb diet once and it fucked up my digestive system something fierce.

I tried doing Greens+ in the morning with my tea, but it didn't really do anything for me that I noticed.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Big thanks to Jimmycrackcorn for inspiring me and showing me the ropes on how to get it done :wavey:

edit- Final goal is 200lbs with enough muscle definition to make panties drop left and right :mamoru:

2. Jimmycrackcorn

Jimmycrackcorn OT Supporter

Good work Ben....keep it up man. :bowdown:

If you want to adjust the protein intake to about a half scoop beofre and a half scoop after go for it. Whatever works for you. If you feel you're getting enough protein getting rid of a full scoop a day I'd get rid of it....extra cals you don't "need".

I'd switch it up on the elliptical and start doing your work in HIITs.....throw your body off a little bit....keep it guessing.

3. Jimmycrackcorn

If you want to take a supplement that you haven't tried yet, I'd go with BCAA's or Creatine for muscle gains....but if you're looking to cut first, I'd just stick with what you're doing since it seems to be working for you.

4. Ultimate_Ninja

Thanks man. How'd the birthday celebrations go?

5. dealwithit

dealwithit OT Supporter

edu me on that green tea, i've heard its known to help burn extra calories. i need the facts.

6. Ultimate_Ninja

I take 4 tea bags (go to Sam's Club/Costco and buy the bulk shit otherwise you're going to spend a ton of money, not like we already do on supplements, but whatever) and dump 160* water on them. Steep for 2.5 minutes.

Nothing's been FDA approved, but there's about a billion studies showing various health benefits of green tea. Helping burn/metabolize fat, making you live longer, etc. etc. etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_tea

7. Jimmycrackcorn

It's 1:43 Monday afternoon adn I'm just getting out of bed. That should give you an idea......:hsd:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.