Corporate IT, I salute you!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mrj, Aug 31, 2007.

1. mrj

mrj New Member

This is a long one, I'll say from the beginning, the entire point of this post is to hear stories of other people that I can relate to. If you've been in IT for awhile, and have worked in different environments, lets hear your story.

pedobear time......

I've been an MSFT Net/Systems Admin for 5-6 years, in various fields. Typically in 90%+ Unix/BSD environments, so while I'm not admin worthy of Unix, I'm not a Windows fanboy whatsoever. OS's are tools that are only as secure and wonderful as their Administrators. :ugh:

I recently started a new position, and, as I've changed jobs several times in the past few years due to our flowing market and my age, and my love of the raises you get from new jobs.. I've got a specific system in place for every computer when I first sit at it.

If I'm using Windows (I'm forced to here, yes, I love Adminning Windows from Ubuntu. I love my dig, and no thanks to cygwin.) I grab the public and private IP of my workstation, I check the usual "administrator booklets" for VPN info, if there isn't one I throw one on when I get time and spend the first day figuring out what subdomains are ticketing, nagios, the boss's girlfriends nudes, etc. - then I go home, ssh or rdp in, and finish setting up the system from home. Usually consists of uploading my favorite tools, updating things, throwing all my bookmarks in, and making 9 million email folders with 30 million forward/archive/etc rulesets.

Now I'll admit that I've worked in extremely liberal environments, in tiny little teams of 1-4 admins who had to manage thousands of servers with themselves and a handful of technicians. So everything was done casually, as long as the work was done, noone gave two shits what you did, what you used, or how much shit you broke before fixing it. Happy employees/customers means us admins can play dm1 on Quake all day long until we hear the clicky heels of accounting chicks coming down the hallway... alt tab nigras!!

I suppose you could say I'm used to the most minimal supervision possible. And motherfucker, the work got done. :nono:

Well, what happens when someone like me is thrown into a fanboy, hardcore, totally Microsoft "Corporate" environment. You get bitched at constantly, that's what happens.

You mean.. I can't RDP to my workstation? Not even over VPN? I have to go to work to work on servers located 2500 miles away? :ugh2:

You.... you preinstalled my operating system???? You mean I didn't even get to choose my partitons.. or...... or the operating system? :wtc:

Linux is hacker talk? :ugh:

Being bored and curious about the networks ip scheme and checking the local arp cache and trying to http/https to each ip to see if its a printer or a camera system is bad? :eek4::noes:

You don't allow me to sit in Freenode IRC channels (#linux #freebsd #cisco #windows #security) because I could be... who knows..., even though 70% of the problems I've been *stuck* on in the past have been solved with the help of freenode users? :o

You won't pay for my Experts Exchange account at $12/month because I could be... well, same as irc, who knows, chatting about baseball probably. :ugh:

Oh, I'm sorry, you don't want us to call customers to resolve problems... you'd prefer me to email them.. Okay. Okay. I greatly apologize for assisting the customer via phone, which, oddly enough, most customers BEG for and feel extremely appreciative about.. Okay, I'll stick to emails. Calling customers doesn't show better customer service than pre-generated email responses. :hsugh:

Did you just port scan a server? No sir, I nmapped it. Why, what are you trying to hack? Well, sir, the customer wasn't sure if there was another firewall running. Sure, I could have telnetted, but now that I know they have ports 21, 22, 25, 80, and 443 open, I'm totally going to haxor them. Because self-hacking servers I'll have to fix sounds fun. :eek3:

Yes that was a pretty female in an eskimo suit on my monitor.. No I was not aware that was not work safe. I apologize. I'll try to tone down the level of skin. amish.com? :greddy:

Yes, I visited that hacker website and was looking at the various vulnerabilities of software we provide... Because, you know, being an admin I like to be somewhat proactive in not having my software hacked. But I fully understand how that would make me appear to be a hacker myself. I know, you don't know me very well, I should have waited until my 1yr anniversary to look at the vulnerabilities. Totally. :ugh2:

I'll rant more later. I'm sure tomorrow will be a bucket of giggles if I don't quit.

Week 2 almost down.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  2. mrj

mrj New Member

You guys are boring.

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

You'll get more activity in the main forum obviously.

If you want activity here you can do two things:

Post about burning movies or some shit or that you're gonna buy a dell and potroast's pussy will get all stanked up and whine whine whine.

Or post about some peculiar nerd topic and deux will come in here and blab on like he knows what he's talking about meanwhile dig a deeper hole everytime he replies.

Pick your poison.

Oh yeah, corp IT does suck, that's why I got out.

4. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I'm Govt IT, would you consider me Corp IT??

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Where do I come in? :o

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like you went from an environment in which you had all of the freedom, responsibility, and accountability for keeping the servers running, to an environment in which the director has all of the freedom, responsibility, and accountability, and he delegates them only as needed. Both work, but the latter is more stable.

You have two options: leave, or stick it out and prove by force that what you're doing works as well or better than what they're used to.

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Or post that you want to buy a WINDOWS laptop and everyone will recommend a MAC.

8. mrj

mrj New Member

This was a satire post. :ugh:

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Go jump off a cliff.