GUN Corncob media in your completed cartridge..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Mar 23, 2009.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I used to check the inside of my each cleaned case to make sure that there was no media inside, after I run them through media separator. I want to stop doing this, as I haven't yet to find a case with a stuck media in it.

BUT, if one small media did somehow find itself in a completed ammo and that ammo was fired, what is the worst thing that can happen?

2. sp00n155

sp00n155 You underestimate the insignificance of my penis OT Supporter

ATF would automatically kill your dog.

3. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Fuck!

4. AB13

AB13 New Member

if there was enough media/moisture. you could possibly get a squib.

been there, done that crew checking in.

5. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

you could rinse a batch in alcohol

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Toss the corn cob in the trash. What you want to use is crushed walnut. It does not clump like the corn bob does and it is a much smaller granular size. It also does not create as much dust (which is full of lead as you know.)

Seriously go to a feed store or better pet store. Get crushed walnut aka bird litter. It's like $20 for a 25 lbs bag so it is really inexpensive too.

For polish use the 3m finesse it II. The stuff is awesome and the best stuff I've found. It is polishing compound to detail boats. Do a google seach for it and buy a bottle. You will not be sorry. Mix one ounce of finesse it 2 with equal parts water. Slowly drizzle it into your media as it is running. Let the media run for about 20 mintues to mix in. Your media is now good for 5k-8k of brass depending on how dirty it is. Your brass will be super bling bling.

The trick to loading brass is speed. Drop it a handful a time into the tumbler and watch how it moves. If you put too little or too much brass it moves very slowly. If you put the right amount the brass circulates very quickly in the media. All it takes when you do it right is 20 - 30 mintutes to get your brass super shiny.

7. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

:bowdown:

8. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Ha, I've got a fuckload of 3M Perfect-It III in my garage for detailing cars. One less thing to buy. :wiggle:

9. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

Been using corn cob for about 5k of misc. brass because it came with the cheap cabela's tumbler. When it gets dirty, I have been cutting it with half new media and that's been working fine. I normally turn it on before leaving the house for work, and turn it off when I get home. 7-9 hours with the corn gets it nice and clean.

That said, I am probably putting a lot of wear on my cheap tumbler.

I guess I'll go pick up a bag of walnut.

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

if you would tumble 7 or 9 hours with my media it would take the nickle plating off any nickle brass.

I run my tumbler off a timer. That was I can do a load of brass while watching tv or running errands and not worry.

11. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

Corn bob? :mamoru:

12. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I gotta try that 3m stuff. I currently use Casso in my tumbler. I use crushed walnut as well.

One piece of advice is DON'T deprime before you tumble. Its a pain poking the stuck pieces of media out of the flash holes.

I have never found a good reason to tumble after depriming.

I tumble/polish first, then deprime/size/load and when its all done, THEN I tumble the finished loaded rounds a while to clean off any leftover lube.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Well for rifle loaded in bulk ala dillon you generally lube, deprime, resize, trim, deburr then re-tumble to get the lube and any brass chips out. You just got to check yo brass before you load it.

14. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I don't lube the insides of my cases (rifle or pistol). The outsides of the necks are the part that need the lube the most, not the decapping ball. I know a lot of guys do lube the insides of their necks but I haven't found it necessary. I load for 308/223/7.5x55 swiss for rifle loads.

I don't really care of some brass chips get into my loads. The amount of brass chips that would get into the case would be a non-issue.