Core 2 running a bit hot?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Strife, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Strife

Strife Active Member

Well I just finished building my comp and booted it up into the bios (Asus P5B Deluxe, its a core 2 duo e6400 btw).

My CPU temp is showing a 42C temperature. I cleaned off the heatsink wax and used Arctic silver 5 instead, which I was hoping would get me around 27C idle per reviews. I followed the directions on the side and put a thin strip down the middle where the duos would be. I just used rubbing alcohol instead of the arctic cleaning stuff they sell though, which could have been one reason maybe.

I'm just wondering if I should clean off the arctic with their own cleaner and try again, or maybe buy an aftermarket heatsink now that the wax is off... anyone had any experience with this? I'm planning on OC'ing obviously so I don't want it to be running this hot before I even do anything...

Oh and does anyone recommend putting this on your video card also or is it really not needed. I noticed of the reviews people were using it on their video card also. I'm running a radeon x1900gt 256mb 256bit 16pixel.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2006
  2. Strife

Strife Active Member

True but this is before OCing and most of the reviews average 27-32C for my chip at idle. I think i may have contaminated the arctic silver when putting it on with a fingerprint or dust or not cleaning off the stock thermal wax well enough. I'm gonna get see if Best Buy has the arctic remover and try one more time. I bought a really good case with good airflow, (4 80mm fans, 1 120mm fan) and internal case temp is around 27-29C and my room last night couldn't have been over 75F so I doubt it's that.

3. Strife

Strife Active Member

The asus mobo bios hardware monitor. Tracks temps of motherboard, cpu, fan speed, voltage, etc.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Your temps will drop over time.

Arctic Silver points this out in their guide.

I didn't think it made any sense, but my temps dropped around 5 degrees fahrenheit.

5. Strife

Strife Active Member

Yea I read that also but even before the 200+ hours where temps drop a bit after the arctic silver has reached maximum effectiveness temps were still lower than 42 :x.
    I'll try cleaning and reapplying tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes. If it stays the same then I guess I'll just let it be or buy an aftermarket heatsink.

6. Doc Brown

When you open up your case, does it look like the heatsink fan is running at a decent speed?

What about air intake? How many fans do you have on the case?

If you have a typical fan in front, fan in back arrangement, have you made sure that one of them draws in air, and the other one expels it?

What's the size of those fans?

7. Strife

Strife Active Member

Fan on heatsink is running a little over 1700rpm.

My case has 4 80mm fans and 1 120mm fan like I said in the previous post. Front 80mm is intake, side 120mm is intake, 2 back 80mm are exhaust, top 80mm is exhaust. Its not a problem with the case, my MOBO is running 30C and internal temps are 27-29C.

I'm almost 100% certain its something to do with the transfer between the heatsink and heatcover on the chip. I'm gonna try reapplying tonight first.

8. Doc Brown

Ok, I had missed that post. So how are those fans configured?

It's possible for fans to cause dead spots, or nodes, inside the case.
    And especially with that many fans, you need to take a good look at which ones are drawing in, and which ones are exhausting.

Plus, you almost have to figure out the cfm of each fan and make sure the math comes out fairly evenly.

Right now, I would leave the heatsink alone until you spend some time on the fans. The xylene cleaner won't make that big of a difference.

As long as you were careful to have it spotless and dry before you put everything together, you should be good to go.

My approach would be to wait until the computer has sat long enough to be at room temperature.
    Then take the side off, and boot it up and watch what temp you get.

If that makes a big difference, then you'll know it's an issue with the fans.

9. Strife

Strife Active Member

I'll check again when I go home, the 120mm fan is blowing almost directly on the videocard and cpu. I listed whats intake and exhaust in the previous post also. I'll try with the door off and if that doesn't make a difference i'll try the cleaner just incase. It's been off all day (at work now) so it should be easy to check when I get home.. or tomorrow since christmas party tonite :/

If you have a better exhaust/intake setup let me know though and I can flip some fans, I think this is the best setup though. In from the front and side right onto mobo, exhaust out the top and back two.

10. Doc Brown

It sounds like a good setup, but you can never be sure.

And core 2 duo runs pretty cool normally so...

P.S., my buddy has a highend gigabyte case, and he had all kinds of overheating problems
    with his. And it has fans like yours does, or close to.

His were all 120mm fans, and he wound up actually having to put an air dam inside his case to
    break up the nodes.

11. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

My Core 2 6600 runs at about 45C. That's using a Zalman 7700Cu cooler, with Antec silver something thermal paste. I would say 42 is plenty fine.

12. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Try using Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool and then tell us the temperature of your CPU...

13. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have a system with a P5P800-SE running a P4 3.4 550 CPU, and the temp readings that the ASUS monitor comes up with are way off. It says my CPU runs at 37C, which based on my experience with this CPU and an Intel MB, is pretty far off.

14. Doc Brown

I think so too. Plus, like I mentioned earlier, the temp does lower over time.

My last build was a dual opteron that lowered 5 degrees (f) over time
    using Arctic Silver 5.

That would get him a hair under 40c which is not bad at all.

15. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

16. Strife

Strife Active Member

i downloaded the coretemp program and core 1 is running 37C and core 2 is running 40C. I guess its ok for now, I'll see if it stays roughly the same when I OC it.

17. Doc Brown

That's pretty darn decent, really.

My old Dual AMD MP2600 rig ran at at over 50c with bigass Thermaltake Volcano heatsinks even with the 80mm fans at 5,000rpm.:eek3:

18. Strife

Strife Active Member

K new question. I downloaded the intel thermal monitor and tested with CPU workload at 100% on both cores. Each core got to roughly 60C. Using orthos stress cpu and ram test I got to 60C after a 10min test with no errors. So I think I'm stable at stock settings, Haven't ran a 12 hr test yet.

Whats a safe temp before stability could be a problem, I'm about to OC and I want to make sure I don't go over it at 100%.

Edit: After reading up on some OC forums, I think I'm gonna get a new heatsink, the extra $60 will be worth it. I've been reading either the Scythe Ninja or Zalmans 9500? Anyone have any suggestions.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2006
  19. Doc Brown

The big Zalmans are the shit. But I think you're getting overworked over this for nothing.
    You're rarely going to be taxing your cpu anywhere near 100%

Why not wait until you see what it runs at overclocked before you panic.

I think you will be surprised at how smooth it's going to run.

I mean Intel finally makes a cpu that runs cool, and you want to slap a big heatsink on it??? :nono:

But if you insist, get a 120mm all copper Zalman.

And don't get the upright one either. They don't cool any better than the flat ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118115

$40 shipped.

20. Strife

Strife Active Member

Maybe because I've been reading so much into it and see low temps? I dunno ~_~
    Free shipping with paypal so price was 37.53, seems worth it and i'd rather play it safe. Thanks~

21. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

That's the one I am using on my C2D 6600. It works extremely well. I liked it so much, I ended up buying some for my other PCs here at home :wiggle:

22. Doc Brown

I ran a pair of them on my old dual Opteron 252 scsi build.
    Took up half the motherboard on a 12x13 server motherboard :noes:

[​IMG]

23. Strife

Strife Active Member

Well my new heatsink dropped my temps from 40-43C to 30-34C which I am very happy with. Once the arctic silver has time to set I should be hitting 30C easy.

Now I can finally overclock in comfort, gonna do it tomorrow since I just got home and am D/Ling some stuff, but planning on doing a moderate OC of 2.8 on the e6400 with 1.4vcore. I hear the max for air cooling is around 3.2 with 1.45vcore.