WEB copywrite/trademark for a site

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eddygordouk, Aug 14, 2007.

1. eddygordouk

eddygordouk LOLerskates and ROFLcakes

i felt this might be the place to ask this question as it involves a design business. I want to start my own freelance/small design studio. It would mostly be a telecommuting/online/from home type of thing until if it were to pick up more steam down the line, grow into a larger thing. My question is about the name I have and what would be the best best way in securing proper legal ownership of it for business use? Im guessing this would go under a registered trade mark? And what would be the steps/price to do such a thing? :noes::x:

2. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

trademark lawyer

3. eddygordouk

how much do they run usually?

4. thomor25

depends, my lawyer is 150 an hour. tht wouldn't include trademark filing fees. you'd be looking around 3k atleast

5. Tony Stark

Tony Stark John McCain has an illegitimate mexican baby

why not just register the business using that name? And honestly do you expect someone to print tshirts with your URL?

6. eddygordouk

:eek3: that cant be the only option. I only would like to be in the clear if I start using this name as a business for a design studio.

7. thomor25

you can register you name as a ficticious one in your state and you will own it in your state. Only way is a trademark

8. eddygordouk

hm, damn has the name game gotten complicated. Can I just register a business as the name and be pretty much in the clear as an earlier post said?

9. thomor25

it wil only work for your state, I'd say incorporate www.llc.com thats you best bet

10. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Registering a fictitious name or dba at your city/town hall is a $5 or $15 fee around here, I don't recall exactly. But that is only a viable option if the address you list is commercially zoned - I don't think you can register a business without a physical location that is allowed to conduct said activity. Id est. if your home based business is not approved with the local planning department you might have trouble acquiring the documentation.

Additionally, if you provide a product or service and plan to conduct business you'll need to file for a FEIN (sp), which also requires a business bank account I believe. If you're worried about copyright infringement, and ever had to invoke said protections operating illegally (without federal reg.) might absolve any charges you file.

Check your state/town websites, they should provide all the necessary information and paperwork. It's mildly involved, but not too complicated.