WEB Copyright Q's V. Online Portfolio.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bonesdsm, May 8, 2008.

1. bonesdsm

bonesdsm Ron Paul for Life.

Hey guys, Im pretty new at this.

I need to get my online portfolio running, in it I will have my design,photography,and illustrations. Obviously i need a copyright to protect my images on the website.

Where do you guys go to buy your copyright, and can you tell me whats involved, for i have no idea?

It will be a website that will be updated often, what kind of a copyright would i need that would protect updates, etc.

Thanks in advanced.

2. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Copyrights are somewhat useless.

3. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

you need watermarks
    copyrights are useless unless you are a big corp

4. Finest

Finest OG #93

Just put a watermark on it or big signature that basically makes the image useless to anyone who wants to steal it.

5. trev.the.enemy

trev.the.enemy New Member

:werd:

I always put a transparent watermark across the entire image so nobody would be able to use it even if they cropped. :o

6. bonesdsm

I dont know guys, Every online portfolio ive come across has the copryright on the bottom.

I would still like to copyright my website, has anyone done it and can help me out a bit?

Watermarkig is so ugly, but i guess its necesserary, isnt it?

7. jdw

jdw New Member

Anyone with 9 keys on a keyboard can write copyright on the bottom of their site. A little text doesn't stop anyone from running away with your projects - not even a watermark will stop a determined photoshopper.

For me, I lay a transparent watermark across most of my photos (photography biz). Placement depends on what I have planed for the photos - if I'm planning on selling that batch it gets a big mark laid right across the middle.

Don't want someone to steal it - don't put it on the internets.

8. alwaysth

alwaysth New Member

Most likely the copyright is fake, or they bought one. However, it's not likely you'll see someone steal your work and profit immensly from it. As well, if that is applicable, and someone does steal your work, confront them, or contact thier host, and things will get handled not by legal standards in a court-room but online.

Go ahead and place a copyright notice in your footer, it might scare away some people, and if your site looks professional you might trick them into thinking your a big company that would go after them non-stop.

Watermarkings not ugly, use a clear one, or simply layer-blend it into your graphics, and yes it's nessicary. My watermarking, or copyright deal is pretty simple. You could create a clean watermark area, and raise it about 1/4 up into your graphic. Mine are at the bottom, but I'll be fixing my images and raising them up a bit so they can't slice the image down.

Anything else, let me know.

[​IMG]

Simple enough, right? Two simple lines of text in your image makes it impossible to steal when palced in these two spots.

[​IMG]

9. bonesdsm

Thanks Showsquare, everyone. I guess "©" and watermarking it is.