copying software key

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by comatose, Feb 27, 2007.

1. comatose

comatose New Member

I have a vinyl cutter and lost the software key...had to buy another for 80 bucks. The key is a usb dongle drive, and I was wondering if anyone here knew how i could copy it so that incase someone takes this one too, i still will be able to use vinyl cutter. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know.

It looks like a jump drive, and the program wont work until it's installed. I'd like to be able to have a back-up as 80 bucks is too rich for my blood. Thank you.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

copy it to another flash drive? :dunno:

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ask if the vendor has a license server that you can tell your software to get its license from. That way you, and only you, will be able to use that license, and they won't have to worry about copies being made of the license, and neither of you will have to waste money.

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Hardlock keys work by having unique ID numbers burned into ROM chips that are only writeable once. The license file on his computer refers to that unique ID number to ensure that there is only one copy of the license file in use at any time. I highly doubt any commercially-available USB flash drive could be made to "look like" a hardlock key.