copying programs...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fifty50, Apr 25, 2005.

1. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

i have a full backup of my mac hd on an external hd. can browse it as if it were my local HD. if i were to do an 'erase and install' installation of tiger and i connect the external hd, would i be able to drag programs over from the backup to my local hd with tiger, and have the programs work properly?

i know you can't do this in windows b/c of all the background files that are needed, and the registry changes, etc.

but is it possible in OSX?

2. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

from my understanding, you can drag the program into the applications folder and it should work just fine. some programs do write their preferences during the install but hey, you could just drag it to the trash if it doesn't work properly :dunno:

3. falconbrad

falconbrad "You're one angry white boy."

Many... in fact, probably most, of your programs will work just fine. Some will not. If that's the case, trash it and just reinstall. When you run them for the first time, they will rewrite their pref files if they can't find them (most of them, that is). Just try it out, and if it doesn't work, then you're really no worse off.

4. fifty50

fifty50 New Member

man, i seriously love OSX. wish it was able to have my babies :squint:

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

:squint: