GUN Cops wait outside for half hour while family was killed by home invaders

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Jan 23, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DEADLY DELAY
    COPS WAITED AS 3 WERE SLAIN
    http://www.nypost.com/seven/01232008/news/regionalnews/deadly_delay_30567.htm

January 23, 2008 -- Connecticut cops wasted five minutes before sending officers to an unspeakably brutal home invasion, then waited outside the house at least 26 minutes while a woman and her daughters were tortured and killed, according to newly released documents.

An edited dispatch log and transcript of the police response were obtained by The Hartford Courant.

The documents describe officers setting up for a hostage situation by trying to establish a secure perimeter and waiting for SWAT-team members to arrive - rather than trying to contact the possible suspects or attempting to rescue family members trapped inside.

Jennifer Petit, 48, and her two daughters, Hayley, 17, and Michaela, 11, were alive while officers were outside the Cheshire home and were killed in the final minutes of their seven-hour ordeal last July 23.

Two men are accused of strangling the mother, setting the home on fire and leaving the girls to die in the blaze. Dr. William Petit Jr. survived.

Joshua Komisarjevsky, 27, and Steven Hayes, 44, were arrested as they fled.

Police declined to comment to The Courant.

Cops believe the two career criminals broke into the Petit home at 3 a.m. and took the family hostage.

Shortly after 9 a.m., Jennifer Hawke-Petit went to a bank branch with Hayes to withdraw $15,000 in a last-ditch bid to save her family.

Cops first learned of the family's ordeal from the bank managers 911 call at 9:21 a.m. Dispatchers several times put the manager on hold during the initial three-minute 911 call. The manager was then told to call back police headquarters on another line.

The calls took nearly five minutes, the paper said.

-------

Yep no reason to own any weapons in todays monder society the police will be there to protect you :ugh2:

2. AB13

AB13 New Member

Haven't you posted this story before? It's the one where the husband survives while his family is killed and tortured up stairs. I believe the husband was a Dr. or something.

3. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Yeah it happened last summer, the women were raped and burned, dad live. But I don't believe back then the details about the police sitting outside were known then.

4. dank

dank fuck yeah

i think they were, i saw a show about it like 6 months ago.

5. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

That would be it. It is a damn shame it happened.

6. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

But what are you going to do when the supreme court says they don't have the duty to protect citizens?

Cops are people too, they are afraid of dying as much as you and I. They aren't going to help you risking their lives unless they can come to the scene with "overwhelming force". Learned that first hand during Rodney King riot, they sat there and watched huge portion of city getting burnt down.

7. Gein

Gein New Member

This story alone should be enough to convince any anti-gun person the fallacy of that position.

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I don't blame the cops for sitting outside - it's not like they charge in the door for a hostage situation usually.

What this story illustrates to me is that people should can't trust criminals with their lives. Just because you do what the person wants does not mean they'll be good to you and you'll end up alive.

This is also a good illustration on why we assume the worst will happen when someone forces their way into our houses. You never know what the person will want.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Even under exigent circumstances law enforcement might be weary of breaking down the door. One more reason to be armed :dunno: learning lesson despite how said it is. Show this to the anti-gun naysayers.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

This doesn't scare me.

What scares me is that if I arm myself and defend myself against these criminals the police will arrest me. I will have to face grand jury. I will have to plead my case. I will have to defend why I had to defend myself.

And to say "I shot the invader because I knew the police wouldn't" isn't going to be a very jury-friendly reason.

And look at the other storys we're seeing in the media, now... Sometimes these intruders are PLAIN-CLOTHES POLICE who don't even identify them. Under my morals I'm gonna shoot them just the same as a criminal -- and how is that gonna look??? All of the cops buddies are gonna beat the shit out of me. And during my trial I'll look like a cop-killer. Even though a prudent person being placed in the same situation as me would find it REASONABLE to shoot the "invader".... It doesn't matter. The verdict is simple. The verdict will be guilty.

I don't think it's intentional.... But the police are effecting dangerous no-knock warrants in plain-clothes without proper identification.... And as a result they're getting shot in what is really self-defense. But you can't defend yourself against a cop. If he beats you excessively, pulls a gun on you, or commits any crime on you you can't do shit. As a result, the media sees cops dying... Not a plain-clothes person that forcibly entered a building... Where the resident had every REASONABLE indication that they were being robbed. They had every REASONABLE fear that they would be hurt, raped, or killed. But the media doesn't care. The jury doesn't care.

Now the police have their perfect environment. They are under no obligation to protect you. But now if you protect yourself you're fucked.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

One of things I talked about this past weekend with speaking with a SWAT member for the KC SWAT team, whom I normally shoot with is to use forceful "voice commands" during the commission. He explained to me how they train with using "voice commands" (barking out orders, etc) and that he felt more citizens should implement that into their "defensive training". Not only to clearly outline your intentions, but in case of that scenario where you could be shooting at an undercover police officer.

State your intentions, that way if or when they drag that "witness" into trial and ask "what do you remember rite before the shooting..." they can explain that they herd you clearly say " yada yada yada... put the gun down, I have a gun, etc".

I can totally see the value in adding this to my regimine for defensive scenarios. It's just hard finding a place to shoot where people won't look at you all wierd. :mamoru:

I'm actually been contemplating creating a course of fire in IDPA that required you to use commands in the stage. It'll at very least be funny, but I definitely see it as worthy of training.

12. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

:werd: It's how I've been trained also - barking out the orders is a great idea and helps in several situations.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I agree. I will try to add this to my training. I don't think it will aide in court because the cops already distort reality by choosing what to say and not to say in court -- and there have been many instances of cops claiming to "identify" themselves in situations where they probably did not...

But by barking intentions you are most likely going to work things out verbally without shots fired. So if it is a cop you can get the proper identification and put your gun down -- or if it's an intruder you can get your point across what "you and your rifle" can do and hopefully end the situation without any more violence.

14. Sloi

Sloi Back up in your ass with the resurrection

No guns for us, they say...

Wait for the police, they say...

The police will be there to save you, they say...

BULL FUCKING SHIT. This is a perfect example of how retarded and dangerous it is to place your life in the hands of others.

15. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

fantastic :ugh2:

16. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Fantastic. Let's ban all guns... they're not necessary anymore, not even in the home. According to D.C.

17. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

thats what the police are here for, brosidon, god of the brocean.

18. Slick26

Rite.

19. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

the no knock cops, and these cops should get together... and compare notes.

20. mikeflys1

mikeflys1 New Member

That was not that far from me....and I'm still amazed how people here just dont get it that self defense in your hand is better than self defense being parked by dunkin donuts.

A few months later in Southbury (right near Cheshire) a drunk kid crashed his car and then broke into someones house...the homeowner shot the kid and all of the newspapers people were writing in how he's a cowboy and he should have just called the police, the poor kid was disoriented and didnt know what he was doing etc etc.

They just fit that quote of liberals being so open minded their brains fell out perfectly

edit:me no write good

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  21. Slick26

I don't get it either. But unfortunately, the real problem is the public, the American people, buying into the notion that the government really is here to take care of them, and protect them.

I fault officers and depts for making mistakes when they make them; but the American people themselves need to wake up and realize that it is not the police's JOB to save us from harm. Their job is to investigate and make arrests, and to protect (when possible), but they are not going to just rush into your house and take down your assailants. No, they're going to retreat and make sure their lives are not at risk first, assess the situation, and make calculated decisions on what to do to help everyone in the situation come out alive, especially themselves. Its your job to protect yourself. If you want to live, you take the responsibility upon yourself to do something about it. If you don't, the police certainly will show up, eventually (if anyone even called), but it won't be to protect you anymore, it'll be to mark chalk around your dead body, bag it up, and write a report about it.

This is reality. Get with it.

22. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

I know when I was in Police Explorers and we used OKCPD's FATS system (http://www.fatsinc.com/) we had to do audible commands. It was kinda funny at first, but when we went to national competitions they required you to do them and you had to sound deadly serious.

Nothing conveys the severity of the situation like "Drop the weapon OR I WILL FIRE!" If they don't get it after that, they never will.

BTW, FATS teaches you really damned quickly just how fucking quickly you can die. I stopped counting after 20 or so, but my father said he'd probably died on FATS several thousand times hoping he'd die there instead of on the street (cop for 28 years).