MMA Cops updating their training to deal with MMA afficianados

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Scream_Phoenix, May 22, 2007.

1. Scream_Phoenix

Scream_Phoenix Handsome Boy Model

not a great article, but something from the local paper thats kind of interesting.

depending on where youre from, local cops are probably much more worried about guns than a drunk guy that knows some holds from watching UFC :o

2. Mystery Guest

Mystery Guest New Member

I guess a gun just doesn't cut it these days. :mamoru:

3. Scream_Phoenix

in canada people dont use guns :nono: we are a peaceful nation :love:

we watch a lot of dvds tho :squint:

4. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

wtf?

wtf?

wtf?

5. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

lol i saw some show on spike tv about some canadian bar that every night has tons of street fights. and they setup a camera for 1 year, and captured all the fights and made it into a highlight reel of the bar. was great.

no one brought out real weapons, just good old fashion drunk brawling.

6. Scream_Phoenix

yeah i saw that on youtube, it was in calgary i think. places like that, prince george. basically logging, mining and oil cities, have a lot of street fights cause theres a bunch of guys around all the time and probably not enough women :mamoru:

but yeah, murders in my city, and in canada in general, are pretty rare. if some guy come after you in a bar, its pretty unlikely youll get shot, maybe just a good old fashioned ass kicking :bigthumb:

7. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

makes perfect sense.

also, 8 hours every 6 months isn't enough.

8. Searcher

Searcher New Member

Cops need much more training than that.....

9. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

definitely not. however i think every department should promote mma training in general as often as possible. if i were to ever work as a cop, bouncer, whatever where i'm often put in a fighting situation, i sure as hell wanna know hand to hand combat in all it's forms (standup, ground game, fuck knife fighting, i dont care).

an investment in mma training is an investment in your personal health and wellbeing. well worth it.

10. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

hahah cops about to baton ur ass so u pull guard on him :mamoru:

11. TigreTek

+kimura. it's all you need.

12. miek

miek New Member

:love:

13. Placebo

Placebo New Member

I hope you're being sarcastic.

14. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

I wouldn't doubt that was in Calgary, I have a very good idea of what bar it is actually.

There are so many bar fights here, just drunken brawling. Sometimes knives get pulled but rarely, just drunken cowboys beatin the snot out of each other. I can easily see 3-4 fights a night going to any given bar.

15. Placebo

Placebo New Member

Every time I have been in Canada, the silly canadians get themselves into fights. Especially Quebec and the likes. Whenever I was out there for tournaments (not MMA related) there were fights breaking out all the time :rofl:

16. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Montreal and other Quebec cities have a history of pugilism, I haven't seen a street fight in years in Ontario

Also even in Montreal I seriously doubt it is more than your average American city

17. Scream_Phoenix

meh. more fights and less murders = fine with me, tho i doubt theres actually more fights

but this is not a usa vs canada thread! :run:

anyone have any idea how often larger police departments train? even for a town thats 300,000 people, every 6 months seems like too little

18. MagicGAT

MagicGAT New Member

:rofl:

19. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

hilarious but not surprising.

I think back to how little I actually understood of grappling from just watching it on TV :rofl: drunken idiots trying to pull off shit they saw on tv = pure hilarity

20. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

:hsugh:

Do you know how much "training" these guys would have to do to have it really pay off? Grappling isn't something you can go in, learn 3 or 4 moves, and be tough shit with. There are so many different positions and situations that just learning how to do some basic takedowns won't be nearly as beneficial as teaching them how to whip your ass with a baton.

I've got like 18 months of BJJ, a few months of boxing, and 4 years of wrestling, and if somebody decides they want to jump me at a bar, I'm still reaching for a pool cue or a stool or something. Cops deal with a lot of shitheads day to day, and I wouldn't be willing to go to the ground and grapple with some crazy son of a bitch with a few months of training versus just cracking them with a knightstick.

21. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

Really if you don't want to be a MMA fighter, they don't change tactics very often. :dunno: They don't teach them to stand there and throw punches. They teach them how to immobilize the guys that are threats.

22. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah thats what I was thinking especially since the people they are training to go up against are foing it at least twice a week at there local place lol. They arent probably showing them anything flashy any way if I was to train a police force I would just show them escapes any way. They have guns and weapons on them and when your a cop you dont want to grapple I personally would never use grappling in a street fight aside from take downs. Im not pulling guard on some one and assuming no ones jumping in and as im locking a triangle 3 guys are stomping on my head

23. TigreTek

actually, i don't think they're worried about some guy trying to grapple and shit and just worried about some guy trying to GnP from the top. it doesn't take much to be somewhat dangerous from the top, but it takes a ton to be able to handle yourself off of your back.

24. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

and when the situation comes along that you don't have a pool cue handy, that you don't have your mace? what will you do then? i'm just saying i would want to be prepared in all situations, and you're not always going to have your baton out and ready, not always goign to have your gun drawn with a person you need to shoot. you can't always just choose to crack someone with a nightstick, and you can't always choose to stay standing on your feet.

that's the entire point of the training. and i'm not saying they need to have that same private instruction they get twice a year now 150 times a year, i'm saying if i were in law enforcement i would train in a more MMA style.

25. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

one of my Muay Thai instructors is a cop. He says he uses his fighting skills every week (he works the bad part of town).