GUN Cops find guns, ammo, cash at Burress' home

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 24, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cops find guns, ammo, cash at Burress' home
    Updated: December 24, 2008, 9:27 AM EST
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8986866/Reports:-Cops-find-guns,-ammo,-cash-at-Burress
    Authorities seized a small cache of weapons and ammunition from the New Jersey home of New York Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress, the New York Post and Newsday both reported Wednesday, possibly setting up the embattled player for more legal trouble.

The Post, citing anonymous law enforcement sources, said a 9-mm handgun, a rifle and ammunition for three other guns - a .380, a .45 and a .40, the same caliber of gun Burress accidentally shot himself with - were seized during the execution of a search warrant at Burress' home in Totowa.

Benjamin Brafman, the star receiver's criminal attorney, said Tuesday night that he was aware of only a rifle being taken from the home.

"I believe it was registered, but we're looking into that now," Brafman said. "I'm not informed at this time that he is facing additional charges."

If the weapons are unregistered, Burress could face more charges in New Jersey in addition to the two felony gun-possession charges he was slapped with following the accidental shooting at a Manhattan nightclub last month.

"It is not illegal in New Jersey to have a registered weapon in your home," Brafman said.

Burress was not at home during the search by Totowa police, the NYPD and officials from the Manhattan District Attorney's office - though sources said his wife was at home. Brafman said his client is "out of town" but did not elaborate.

Also found in the search - but not seized, since it was unconnected to any criminal allegations - was a suitcase full of money.

Burress accidentally shot himself in the thigh at the Latin Quarter nightclub on Nov. 29 when he fumbled with an unlicensed handgun tucked into the waistband of his sweat pants. He checked himself into New York-Cornell Hospital and later turned himself in to police.

The Giants suspended the Super Bowl hero for the rest of the season following the shooting and also withheld $1 million owed to him as part of his signing bonus.

Burress is due back in court on March 31 and faces up to 3 1/2 years in prison on each count.

Burress was also sued last week in Florida's Broward County Circuit Court for rear-ending a woman in May while driving his nearly $140,000 Mercedes-Benz without insurance.

Compounding the Super Bowl star's defense, according to a document provided by the woman's attorney, is the fact his car insurance lapsed three days before the crash. A letter from Allstate says Burress neglected to pay his premiums.

====

So 2 guns is a cache?

2. johan

johan Active Member

Oh no, someone keeps cash in the home

And a legal registered firearm.

Hmmm put 2+2 together....obviously a criminal :rolleyes:

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Haven't you guys heard, normal people are so far into debt they can't afford to have any money on hand :mamoru:

4. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (SAMSUNG-SGH-I607/I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 320x240))

I hope no criminals know where he lives. Suitcase full of cash and no guns in he home.

5. Bausk

Bausk New Member

Yeah it was nice of them to broadcast.

Now he'll need MORE guns to protect his shit.

6. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

I don't know why you guys are sticking up for him, the guy is clearly a fucking moron. What kind of professional athlete shoots himself in the leg with an unregistered firearm in a location where it's illegal to carry in the first place, and rear ends someone while driving without insurance?

7. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

And makes millions

8. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

9. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the term registered guns make me sick to my stomach

10. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I doubt anyone is saying he's a smart guy, just that the news story sucks. The headline is sensationalist and the body of the story is making a big deal out of nothing.

Carrying the way he did was dumb but I really can't entirely fault the guy either. When people aren't given the opportunity to carry legally I can't blame them for carrying anyway. I'm really not even sure I can blame them for not carrying safely since it wasn't legally an option in his state.

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Sorry, a Glock stuck in a pair of sweatpants (who the fuck wears sweatpants to a night club when they're making that much money anyways?) is just plain retarded.

12. 90free400e

90free400e New Member

true that. I'm not arguing he isn't an idiot for shooting himself, or carrying a handgun in his fucking wasteband without a holster, but who am I to pass judgment on him and say he shouldn't be carrying a firearm if he thinks he needs one. Even though I wouldn't carry a gun illegally, he clearly felt that his ability to be able to protect himself outweighed the consequences of getting caught.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Of course it is but how do you learn that?

I don't follow sports and don't know anything about the guy but a second on google shows he grew up without a dad and living with friends who were criminals and are now dead or in jail. None of those people would teach you how to carry safely.

Do you go into the gun store and ask how to do something that is illegal in your state? We all know about non-resident carry permits and all that but how many people who aren't into guns know that? I can easily see people feeling like they were asking how to rob a bank. And that is without worrying that someone will recognize you and start telling stories about that football player who came in asking how to do something illegal.

I'm not saying he just isn't a genuine tard (who knows) but I can't blame someone for not getting the best info on an activity that is illegal in his state.

14. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

He's not a kid. He's a professional athlete with a reputation to uphold. With all the money he has and resources available, if he can obtain firearms he should be able to figure out which holster to buy or at least fucking google it or some shit.

15. johan

johan Active Member

Burress is a loser, no doubt.

The comments/general sentiment was about the slanty news reporting.

16. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

Oh no, not CASH!!! He must be a criminal. No legit pro ball player is going to have cash in his house. :hsugh:

17. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

How do they not know if the weapons are registered?

and Burress is an idiot for keeping guns at his house after this incident. You would think he would get rid of them to try to at least salvage some of public opinion. But hey, what can you expect from someone who goes into a nightclub wearing sweatpants and a glock in his waistband.

18. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I've often been temped to drop a few loose .22 rounds in random parks and sidewalks while I'm going about my business to see if it stirs up a media shitstorm about how dangerous my town is getting.

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Make sure just to leave spent shells to make it even more dangerous

20. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

yeah, I have quite a bit a spent brass from calibers I will liekly never reload (.357 mag, .38spl, .380, .357sig etc)

that would make for an interesting social experiment.

21. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

When your famous and make millions you can walk in the club wearing whatever you want and still get whatever ass you want, I'd be up there in my bathrobe and some fuzzy slippers.

22. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

"It is not illegal in New Jersey to have a registered weapon in your home," Brafman said.

:ugh: it is either illegal or legal, not "not illegal" you fucknut

23. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

the above phrase is authorized, sanctioned and endorsed by the department of the redundancy department

24. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

not illegal = legal.

He's just wording it very carefully to parry the accusations.

25. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

no, it is worded that way so people assume it is illegal