GUN Cops arrest man who shot intruder

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Aug 6, 2008.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Cops arrest man who shot intruder
    http://www.dailycommercial.com/08-05-08-shooting-
    MILLARD K. IVES

Staff Writer

SORRENTO -- Two men were arrested Monday evening, apparently after one broke into the other's home and was shot.

William A. Stackhouse, 39, already had sustained deep cuts and bruises from broken glass after breaking the window and crawling into the Carroll Street home in Sorrento.

The 22-year-old resident, Mark Filippe, then opened fire on Stackhouse with a .32-caliber gun, and the victim was struck in the left arm, according to a Lake County Sheriff's Office arrest affidavit.

Responding deputies discovered Stackhouse running down the street covered in blood.

Stackhouse was charged with burglary, firing a deadly missile into an occupied dwelling:eek4: and criminal mischief. He was being held Tuesday in the Lake County jail on no bail.

According to the affidavit, Filippe had just moved into the home, and Stackhouse was upset that an ex-girlfriend was helping him unpack. Stackhouse initially burst into the home and screamed for the woman, but was thrown back out.

Stackhouse then allegedly bashed the home and a vehicle with a hammer and threw bricks through the front bay window, before crawling back in through the window.

Filippe was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held in lieu of $10,000 bail.

The reports adds that Filippe told deputies he found the gun in a box after moving in,:hsugh: and picked up the weapon after being in fear from Stackhouse as well as wanting to protect his property.

Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. John Herrell said it would be up to the courts and prosecutors to determine what charges, if any, to lodge against Filippe.

===

Good shoot other then being a felon.

2. Finest

Finest OG #93

Just because you're a felon, you can't defend yourself?

The part where he "found" the gun is iffy though.

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

shot at the arm, is considered a good shot? :mamoru:

4. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think after they did their time they should be allowed to own guns again, if they're still such a threat after doing there time that they shoudn't be allowed to have firearms then they shouldn't be back on the street period.

5. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

6. Finest

Finest OG #93

I agree somewhat with that.

But considering that some of these "former" felons are gangbangers and other violent offenders with a history of violence, I wouldn't be so quick to give them back their guns right away.

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

Hmm... let see how much heat I take for this opinion:

I think that non-violent felons should retain the legal right to own guns.

Violent felons who did not use a weapon in the commission of their crime and were not convicted of criminal sexual conduct should be able to petition for restoration of the their legal right to own a firearm after being clean on "the outside" for some set period of time.

Violent felons who used a weapon in the commission of their crime or were convicted of CSC should be stripped of their right to own or posess firearms period.

:drama:

8. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

I agree.

9. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I think that if legally owning a gun is something you want to do for the rest of your life, then don't commit felonies.
    Pretty damn simple.
    It's part of the punishment. Don't do the crime...

It seems to work for millions and millions of other people.

10. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

this is the way ive always felt

11. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

im pretty sure hes aware that hes not allowed to have a gun, and came up with a shitty excuse. i cant imagine packing up something like a gun, and not remembering it.

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

I agree with this for the part. Dont want to lose your rights? Dont do the crime.

13. DoucheBag

DoucheBag New Member

do you need a gun to embezzle money from a company? to steal cars from an empty parking lot? no. people who bash some ones head in with a hammer or baseball bat arent banned from buying those items... so why should some one who commited a crime without a gun be banned from ever buying one? owning a gun doesnt give you the urge to rape some one, does it?

14. SNDP

SNDP New Member

Nope, get a knife.

15. sprite

sprite Active Member

I absolutely agree that prevention is the best medicine.

It just seems the list of crimes that land you with a felony conviction gets longer and longer all the time because its a cheap and easy way for politicians to appear "tough on crime".

16. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

and again, millions and millions of law abiding people avoid committing felonies every day. amazing!!!

17. sprite

sprite Active Member

Avoid committing them or avoid getting caught?

When I worked the Area 5 USPSA match we had 2 shooters whose guns malfunctioned and doubled. According the the courts in the Olofson case, those two gentleman comitted the felony of being in possession of unregistered machine guns.

Ever accidentally picked the wrong WIFI connection from the list of available networks without the wireless hub owners permission? If you have, you're guilty of "unauthorized access to a computer network"... you guessed it, a felony.

Obviously there are a million shades of gray but there are tons of laws out there you could violate with literally no mailicious intent whatsoever.

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

by ccwing in a post office you commit a felony. Something as simple as forgetting that you have it on you and walking into a post office could forever change your life and strip you from your guns. It's stupid, but I understand why the laws are there.

It really depends on the law. There are some victim-less felonies out there that are stupid and shouldn't be felonies. The one that gets me the most is that if something you do in one state could be a felony in another. Be CCWing and walk from Missouri into Illinois and BAM Felony.

19. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I was late, but "."

20. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

Tell that to the judges. We routinely arrest people over and over because judges seem to think they learned thier lesson and should be released. If they want to keep thier rights, they shouldn't commit a felony in the first place.

21. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I'd concur with this for home protection as far as carry permits I'd venture to say no if it was a violent crime.