SRS coping with friends moving away to college?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by wufei, Jul 3, 2006.

1. wufei

wufei New Member

hey, i've made a few threads here before. namely going to juvie a couple times and dealing with ocd/depression, but this time i've got something a little more normal on my mind.

all of my close friends (yes, all) are going away to university or across the country for college. For at least two years i will be attending the local community college until i can transfer. The closest friends are still an hour and a half drive one way (that's with no traffic jams too, and i still need to learn how to drive).

i know i'm going to be told to make new friends at cc, or go to church, or volunteer somewhere to meet new people, but i love these guys :wtc: i know they're going to move, and i know there has to be people on ot that have had to deal with something like this, how did you guys cope? just tough it out for 2 years? attempt to keep in contact with them while they live glamorous independant lives while you just sit at home all day? drink everynight till you piss yourself? :hs: help

2. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

yeah, it feels like they are moving on and your being left behind. But CC is a good start. I'll start going to a local CC this fall. I don't really have too many friends that achieved enough to be accepted to colleges, but the few that are going seem like they are off to bigger and better things. The only thing that they will get, though, is the college experience. Financially they will be screwed because they will piss all their money away.

Things change and people go their separate ways. Those are guarantees in this world. HS is over and it's time to grow up a little and start getting on track. Focus on yourself.

3. crunchy_black

crunchy_black OT Supporter

People come and go after school man.
    Move on and try to meet new friends :)

4. beautiful disaster

beautiful disaster OT Supporter

:werd: it sucks but it happens. people have many different paths on the journey of life... i've been out of school 3 years and prolly still talk to (online) 1 or 2 people. you'll meet plenty of new people at CC :hs: keep your head up kid

5. bait

bait New Member

its true. My GF moved away last year from all of her closest freinds when she went to school. I'm getting lucky, and my best friend is rooming with me, so I'm speaking from second hand experience. It's hard at first, but you come to find out that relationships with people at this age really arent nearly as significant as they seem. You have a future ahead of you, and when you go to college, theres going to be so many people anyone can find a friend. You can still get to see your friends on breaks and during the summer, but you come to find out that people drift apart as they change alot around this time in their life. REally, all I'm saying is dont stress it. Its a big change, but youll make new friends and in a year it wont seem nearly as bad.

6. Faghot

Faghot We had one foot on the gas& one foot in the grave, OT Supporter

All my friends are off to college as well. It's hard, but I'm looking forward to it. It'll give you a lot of time to find more people like you.

It's a growing experience. You'll make freinds eventually, just be yourself and be confident you'll find them. Things will be fine.

7. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

I cant relate directly to the moving for college part, but I can when it comes to being a far distance away from all my friends. I lived in New Jersey for the first 17 years of my life. I had great friends, one of who I'd known since I was 5 years old. I made a TON of friends in HS. Then, 3 days after my junior year ended, I had to move 650 miles away from them all. It was fucking HARD. For the first 5-6 months I kept saying how I'd go back and yadda ya. I went back to NJ to visit in December the same year I'd moved. I saw my best friend (the one I had for 12 yrs), and one other good friend the ENTIRE week I'd been there.

I noticed how most people had moved on and hadn't let it bother them, and that's when I learned shit like that happens. People move somewhere, they dont ALWAYS forget friends they left behind, but they make new friends. I know mine were down for awhile, some still ask when I'm coming to visit again. One even spent $500 to come see me and spend a week with me last summer. I moved further away a year ago, but only because I had something better waiting for me in Charleston.

Just keep in touch with them. Usually if you dont fall out of touch, when you guys see each other again, you'll have a TON of fun catching up.
    Distance doesnt have to kill friendships, but know that they (and yourself) will find more friends as the years go on.