GUN cop question...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Car54, Aug 23, 2003.

1. Car54

Car54 Member

well, I got into a fight with my neighbor while riding to work, he was complaining that my bike drives his dog nuts, and made some pretty wild comments, and ended up threatening me and calling the cops. I waited around for the cops, and about 10 minutes into his visit, he asked for my license/reg, so I handed him everything along with my CCW as I was carrying at the time.

He asked me to show him my weapon, so I took it out and laid it on his trunk. He treated me with little to no respect, and after running my info handed the gun back over along with all my ID's and said "I dont know why your carrying this, but I would assume your some sort of NRA loving gun nut"

I got pretty angry at this comment, and told him off. He then decided to write me a ticket for no plastic face shield on my helmet. I went to court yesterday, and he had about 10 other cases, 3 of which accused him of making rude comments. Do you think taking this issue to his supervisor is worthwhile? Or should I file a written complaint? I'm really pissed at the way he treated me, and that he vows to watch my neighborhood and ticket me for even the most minor infractions (Which he has already proven he will do by writing a ticket for a $20 improper safety equipment fine)

What would you do? I dont like to bring race into it, but the neighbors who have a problem with me are the only blacks in our entire subdivision, and the cop was black and seemed to side with them from the beginning. In court, the only people who reported similar rude treatment to the judge were white.

thanks for your advice.

2. mrbill

mrbill New Member

although he is being a dick, if you are in violation of the law, he can ticket you as he pleases. the only advice i can offer is to obey every law to the letter!

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

don't bring race into it until someone actually says something about your whiteness being a problem.

if you are really upset about what happened, then yes, file a WRITTEN report. go down to the station and find out what you have to do. do it. written reports are paid great attention by supervisors and the likes because they mean that the citizen was upset enough to come down and write something down. they usually result in some sort of disciplinary action if it's a serious thing. if you just go down there and talk to someone, you're not likely to get anything accomplished.

4. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Man, i wish i hadn't missed this:

Yes. File a written report at the station. Don't go in ranting and raving, be polite. Simply say you'd like to file a written complaint regarding your interaction with an officer. Whoever handles you at this point knows nothing of the incident and will most likely not be involved in the investigation. Getting mad at them and/or getting them pissed at you will only hurt you. Chances are, they're going to be :squint: at you enough for even wanting to make a complaint. Expect that, don't let it annoy or discourage you.

After doing this, same day eve, write to the chief, and CC a copy of the letter to the mayor. Brief outline of the issue, you've filed a report in the hopes that the problem will be corrected by the usual channels, but you'd like them to be aware of the incident.

You pay taxes, you (assumably) obey the law, you have the right to carry a weapon for defense of yourself if you so choose and to have an enforcer of the law imply you are some sort of factionist wacko for exercising that right is wrong and very biased and unprofessional of the officer in question.

i'll leave my personal opinion of "cops" who think only they should have guns out of this. :squint:

As for the ticket, minor or not, if the law says you can be fined for something; obey the law, get the law changed, or pay the fine. i wouldn't try to make it sound like he was out to get you by slapping on petty infractions. Your beef here is the NRA comment he made.

5. Furner

Furner New Member

Wow, major deja vu here, did you post this on AR15.com?? I feel like i have read this story before.

6. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

My professional opion on the matter:

It's too late to go talk to his supervisor, a written complaint to the Chief of Police, City Manager/County Commisioners, IA, etc is going to be the proper way to handle the issue. You need to be detailed and specfic, quoting as close as possible the things he said to you. If he has a history of being rude and unprofessional to the general citizens, he may soon find himself a general citizen. 99% of police agencies today will NOT tolerate rougue cops with piss poor attitudes. I have been treated that way by police, and didn't like it. Once they find out what I do, they backpeddle, doesn't work on me ;)

As for the gun, I've can't even guess how many times I've been handed a CCW along with DL, reg, ins when stopping someone. I just ask where it is, and move on. I don't care about law abiding citizens with CCW's. Maybe it's just me.

Now, in the off chance that someone gives me his/her gun, I don't mistreat it, abuse it, etc. I'll run the serial (you never know) and unload it. I put the rounds in a ziploc bag and hand everything back to the driver. I never hand a loaded gun back to anyone person I contact. It's not worth not going home at the end of the night.

As for the race card, I have personally been accused of being a racist in the line of duty. The person took it as far as going to IA, the media, etc. My name was plastered and it was one of the worst times of my life. Once it was exposed that this party has done this in 4 other cities, it all died down. Point being, unless you truly feel that it was racially motivated, don't even mention it.

Hope that clears things up.

7. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i've read this on OT somewhere already.

Parody? :squint: