Cooperative & Competitive Play

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by deluxesquishi, Oct 28, 2009.

1. deluxesquishi

deluxesquishi New Member

Hey Guys,
    Kinda curious what you all think, given the option would you rather play an Awesome single player game or play a decent multi-player game?

I know with most things it's just more fun to play with friends. It's even more fun to play with people you know in the same room. I'm just curious if the average player is interested in this or it's just me.

I think cooperative and competitive play has more value to the player because of the social bonding it creates. But don't know if other people agree with me :p

2. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

answer is obviously both.

sometimes I want to enjoy the fantastic stories that great single-player games have put together.. sometimes I want to be social and enjoy a multi-player game that doesn't need a story at all.

3. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

Both, like Uncharted 2. Great example of a game that is definitely worth its price.

4. deluxesquishi

deluxesquishi New Member

Good point, the scenerio your in does call for what you'd enjoy :p

5. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

SP

I hate having to get people together for a MP game and the problem just gets worse as the game gets older and the community shrinks.

6. deluxesquishi

deluxesquishi New Member

I have no idea what you mean? Like MP games have just helped me bring people together..

7. Wthermans

Wthermans What does "New High Score" mean? Is that bad? Di

Schedule conflicts and the like. For random pubbing MP is no problem, but for RL local play or even competitive gaming, you have to work out scheduling to play with one another. I like the ability to play at my own pace with SP games.

8. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

Honestly, i have more fun with co-op games anymore. Horde in Gears 2, Terrorist Hunt in Vegas/Vegas2, etc.

Super bonus if I can play them on a single box. Local multiplayer is seemingly dying, which sucks for people with real friends.

That said, a good single player experience is still something that I love about a game, and will take over multiplayer most any day.

9. pbcustom98

pbcustom98 New Member

well i always preferred a good single player game to a good multiplayer game.

then i started playing MMOs. i loved the worlds and environments. things not stopping when you are not playing etc.

its a toss up.. i like both.

10. Trippster413

Trippster413 "This bitch is crazy!"

my issue is that most of the MP scenarios that I run into are a time sink. I don't like the feeling of always trying to catch up but there is some merit to it because it keeps the game interesting...most of the time.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for in the single player aspect. Good story? Amazing environments? Deep gameplay? Spectacular events?

All of that is subjective and I find that I enjoy SP a little more than MP most of the time.

11. blackrat

blackrat OT Supporter

much prefer a well crafted single player game. After that, I like prefer co-op with a irl friend. DM and co-op with random people are far behind.

12. stkorn97

stkorn97 OT Supporter

awesome single player but has coop for said awesome single player therefor making it multiplayer singleplayer.......... wait wut

13. Strife

Strife Active Member

Depends on the game. I'm a huge RPG and FPS fan.

For FPS, there is almost no game I would rather have single player. Even something as polished and good as Half Life 2.. it takes about 10 hours to beat compared to the hundreds of hours I've spent in CS, TFC, TF2. Then Borderlands that just came out, is awesome for 4 player co-op playing with online friends.

For RPGs is really where single player shines for me. I love Diablo 2 and some other online RPGs (played MMOs in High school/college but no time anymore), but I have ~40 game library of PSX/PS2/PS3 RPGs, plus all the emulators I've played for all the great SNES RPGs. For those I have played way more epic single player games where the story and music and single player aspect is what really shines most of the time.

Basically for me:
    PC = FPS/Diablo type or MMO type RPG = Multiplayer

Console = all other RPGs and other great third person games i.e. Resident Evil, MGS, Uncharted, God of War.
    I have actually never even played any of my games online for console (probably because for PS3 I only have good single player games, Demon Souls, Valkyria Chronicles, Eternal Sonata, MGS4), everything I want to play multiplayer I have for PC, and mouse/kb, dedicated servers, IRC, mumble/ventrillo, community mods, owns the shit out of any stuff console can do.

Those are pretty much the games I play nowadays and is more then enough for the time I have to play through everything.

14. Nacho

Nacho Fancy words here.

As good as CoD4:MW's multiplayer was, I really enjoyed the campaign more.

And with Vegas, i have a bunch more time in Terrorist Hunt than I do the multiplayer (or story). Same with Gears and Horde.

15. Strife

Strife Active Member

No clue what the second half is about since I don't play crappy Console FPS.

But it took me like 2 days to beat MW single player, and it wasn't anything special compared to all the other FPS single player games I've played. I actually only played multi for a month and then stayed with CS and TF2.

I'm more of a competitive FPS player, single player is a snooze fest, and RPG stories blow most FPS stories out of the water so I play those for single player. Not saying I won't play Single Player FPS, just that usually they are super short and I'm not gonna buy a $60 game that lasts 10 hours. I'd rather just play multiplayer for hours a day with online friends and play competitively with non-noobs who know what the fuck they are doing. Way more satisfying then anything I've ever experienced in single player.

16. deluxesquishi

deluxesquishi New Member

Strife,

I really like what your saying. I agree that RPG stories totally kick ass. As for Online MMORPGs I'm not too much of a fan, mainly 'cause I'm scared of losing my life, like so many of my friends, and disappear into a dark room with my illuminating computer as my only source of light.

I hope you enjoy Badlands, I will try it myself but I have much difficulty with FPS. But the game itself seems awesome.

The debate between MP and SP games are pretty complex. But I think all around it's more fun play local lan than with stranger online. Does anyone agree or disagree with that statement?

17. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

social bonding, lol. Most of the time it does just the opposite when you play with retards who have no idea what they're doing. Gets frustrating.

18. Strife

Strife Active Member

That's true, luckily I've been around online PC games long enough to have built up quite nice friends list of people who know what they're doing. I haven't had to play Borderlands with anyone I didn't know, and for competitive FPS you have your clan for stuff that matters and a pretty tight knit community for pugging and ringing for other teams, and then you can go beat up on noobs in pubs in your free time.

19. Slurms McKenzie

Slurms McKenzie New Member

Co-op by far, I suck at games too much to have fun online. I have more fun fighting AI with another person.

20. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

Coop for online, and for adversarial, I'd rather play with friends or I will stop playing it in two weeks. I've been playing versus games, since 00 (Quake, Rainbow Six, TFC) that any other fps games grows stale within one week.