Cool sig idea...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I'd put it in my sig, except I can't edit my sig :(

[​IMG]

It shows what song I'm listening to, or says "No Music Playing" if I'm not listening to anything. Here's how to do it:

1) Signup at Listen-To and install a plugin. This will send the information about what you're listening to to the Listen-To server.
    2) Create an image with some space for the text somewhere on it.
    3) Install this script on a PHP-enabled server. Change the extension to .php (duh).
    4) Edit the variables for fonts, colors, and the time correction between your server and listen-to's server. THE FONT PATH MUST BE ABSOLUTE.

That's about all I can think of that you need to do to get it running... Cool, eh?

2. MP

MP New Member

Most message boards only allow simple VB tags like the img, b, i, u, I though?

nevermind I get what you are saying. So how would I do this because I post on a few message boards. It would be cool to do.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2003
  3. Penguin Man

I'm here. Yea, I know you can use their images, but I wanted to customize and they won't let you use your own unless you pay them, and theirs don't say if you're not listening to anything (stays on the last song you listened to forever)... Anyway, I'll get you on AIM and explain it ;)

Edit: Hm, no AIM listed in your profile... Well, I'm on, if you've got MSN, AIM, whatever, talk to me :)

4. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

I used to have something like that through a free provider. But they went under, and I lost the ability to change my sig. :sad2:

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

6. MP

MP New Member

My server doesn't have the font stuff needed for it :(

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You can used the canned fonts in PHP/GD (actually, its more like 1 font with 5 different sizes). Let me know if you need a hand with it. Or let me know if you'd like a host that can do it (I might be able to hook you up).

8. MP

MP New Member

I've got two available servers at my disposal. I'm not sure how to use the fonts you are referring to.

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I looked at my coding example and I thought I was using imagettftext() which requires the freetype library (which I could understand you might not have). But I see I did use imagestring().

Are you getting any errors? (To view PHP errors, comment out the header() function and load the image by itself, like a stand alone page). Which flavor of PHP you using? The latest and greatest, v4.3.x has the GD library built in which should allow you to use imagestring() without anything special.

10. Penguin Man

From looking at ludelover's phpinfo() last night, it appears that his server doesn't have GD installed.