Cool programming projects...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Penguin Man, May 14, 2003.

1. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Yea, so I'm finished our C++ curriculum at school, so I have the next month and a bit to work on my "custom program" in programming class. Last semester for VB I did Boggle (and a damn fine Boggle it was, I'll post it if anyone's interested). So, anyone have some interesting program suggestions? Only real requirements are:
    a) uses "advanced concepts" - in the context of the class this means arrays, but for me, something that involves classes, file I/O, etc... would be cool.
    b) can run in a command-line interface.

Yea, throw stuff at me, I'll let everyone know what I come up with in the end :big grin:

2. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

how about a MUD? good opportunity to learn how to write network shite, and it's text, so it'll run in a console (both server and client.. or maybe you can make a p2p mud :big grin:). here's a good tutorial on TCP/IP and socket programming (for win32 or *nix):

http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/net/html/

3. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

Yeah, I was thinking a chat program.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Get the computer to read temperature! Some assembler required.

After that I was really into finding a workaround for the DOS editor (as handy as it was, it didn't handle large files, which I needed at a tech support job I was at - this was back in '96 and the days of Win3.11). I learned later some assembler was required. This may no longer be fun since "its been done before".

Networking stuff is always fun.

You didn't mention the OS.

Ok, I'm kind of out of ideas right...

5. Penguin Man

Ah, yea, I didn't mention the OS, it's Windows.

Funny thing you guys all mentioned network-type stuff, that's kinda what I was thinking too. My idea was some sort of basic IP-to-IP chat program. Anyone have some good resource websites on C/C++ network programming? I'd be entirely on my own learning this, the teacher tends to ask me for advice when he can't figure things out. Also, might I run into trouble with sending unwanted packets through the school's network?

6. Penguin Man

Bump ^^

C'mon, someone must have some C/C++ networking websites...

Edit: I was just looking at a tutorial on sockets and I think I can figure it out. I'll play around a little tomorrow in class and see what I get drawn up. Then I'll come here and ask for help :)

Last edited: May 15, 2003
  7. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

8. Penguin Man

Yea, I googled it. Today in class I played with WinSock, it's not too tough, I think I'll end up with something cool.

9. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Make an AIM clone so we can use the OT smilies. :big grin:

10. Penguin Man

:rofl: That'd be just a bit beyond me I think. I'll have to do some more playing around this week, I'm starting to think that a full-fledged chat client might be too tough, and that I'll do some sort of MUD or something.

11. Chimpa Codigo

Chimpa Codigo Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Modulators

make an inventory program(easiest thing you can ever do). I made a video rental/video categorizing program that can either be used as a stand alone video sorter (by date/title/media etc.) or you can use it as a video rental program (customer class which takes the video class and a limit on how many videos allowed out per customer, how many videos are availible, and the total net earnings for the day/week/month/year). If you have a month and you actually program for the better part of it, it should be pretty easy (i waited until 3 days before it was due and got it finished, but the writeup too a while).

12. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

I have been working on a very basic inventory system of my DVD collection. Really just to learn .NET by.

13. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I created a fridge inventory system with barcode scanner. No longer in use right now because there's not enough outlets or space in the kitchen for the PC. Its web based and folks can still see what was in my fridge back in 2000 or 2001. I meant to implement a "just in time" management system, but didn't get around to doing that (not much motivation to do it since all I needed to ensure that was stocked was the pop).

If you still have an interest with networking, a simple port scanner might be a good start. If you're on a school network, you might want to clear it with your prof and any admins involved.

14. AbortionSurvivor

AbortionSurvivor Active Member

Create a linked List program.
    do a good search for it.

15. Penguin Man

Already did.

Inventory is pretty easy... Although, it would demonstrate pretty much everything we did in the course. As for the port scanner, that would be cool... And not too difficult I think... And I wouldn't worry too much about clearing it, the teacher and admins likely won't know what one is, but I'll tell them anyway ;)