Cool computer, But... SUSE Issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Keyzs, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Interesting error message (more of an information message)

This is a brand new Dell 2850 dual Xeon 3.x ghz chips. It came with Windows 2003 standard server installed. Intel lists them as IA-32 chips that support EM64T. They also say in different places that its 32-bit native or 64-bit native...

My question, has anyone had experience with these chips with SUSE or another Linux version? Anyone tried using SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 for AMD64® & Intel® EM64T®??

From Novell

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I love the messages in SuSE... "Have a lot of fun" and "cool computer, but..." :rofl:

I haven't played with 64-bit SuSE, but if I were you I'd just try installing SuSE 9.1 Pro 64 (or 9.2 if it's out) on there and see what it says :dunno:

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

I ran 9.1 64 bit a while ago and the only issue I saw was that the drivers for 64 bit were a little lacking. This was on a AMD64 chip. Also a good chunk of software still needed to be developed for 64 bit archs, but the core system worked rather nicely. I'm thinking of switching back to Suse 9.1 32 bit just because of some usage issues I've had with other distros.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Nice thing about Linux is even if there's no binary available through YaST for the 64-bit arch, you can always download and compile it yourself. It won't take full advantage of 64-bit, but at least it'll work.

5. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

roger that.

I use SuSE 9.1 AMD64 right now, and have no issues at all. I also have an nforce chipset though, and nVidia kicks ass with their drivers so there is full support for linux.