Cooking with whey protein.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by xpinchx, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Is it possible? From what I learned in anatomy, if a protein goes under stress (pH change or heat) it naturizes and your body can't use it. :dunno: I've been thinking about that cookie recipe thread from a few days ago and I was just curious if it would actually work. :hs:

2. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

0 replies. :wtc:

3. Dobis P.R.

Dobis P.R. Guest

Why do you want to avoid just drinking it?

I mix mine with milk and its not unpleasant at all going down.

4. cls

cls Though I have fallen, I will rise. Though I sit in

From what I understand, whey protein doesn't have cell walls to protect it (like eggs & meat do), so you lose the nutritional value of it when you heat it up.

And a quick google search produces...

Q: I heard that high temperatures "break down" protein. Will the cooking/baking process have a negative effect on the protein?
    A: While it's true that proteins can be denatured by heat, unless the protein structure is particularly delicate or exposed to extremely high temperatures for extended periods of time, any denaturation that takes place is likely to be minimal. It is also important to keep in mind that denatured DOES NOT equal non-nutritious or unavailable - denaturation simply refers to a situation where the physical or chemical structure of a protein is rearranged. In some cases the denaturation process is temporary (e.g. whipping egg whites into a foam); in others, such as when you fry an egg, the denaturation is permanent. In both situations, the egg contains the same amino acid makeup and is equally nutritious. In fact, the fried egg is actually slightly more nutritious when cooked because cooking inactivates a component that binds the essential B-vitamin biotin. That said, while denaturation does not alter the nutritive value of proteins, excessive heat can reduce or destroy delicate peptides (i.e. microfractions) within a protein. For this reason, it is best to limit the exposure of 100% ANY WHEY Protein to high heat, and cook with lower temperatures whenever possible. In other words, add 100% ANY WHEY Protein at the end of the cooking cycle whenever possible, and choose lower temperature cooking like microwaving and baking over higher heat methods like pan or deep-frying.
    http://www.optimumnutrition.com/anywhey/QA/Q_A.html

5. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

What does this mean for protein pancakes? :wtc:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.