Cooking with Olive Oil

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by lawrencel715, Oct 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

So is it okay to cook with olive oil? I mainly use it to cook my chicken breasts and eggs. Results differ in the articles i read. They mainly talk about the smoke point, which is the degree where the oil goes bad. some sites say extra virgin olive oil have a high point, some say it's low. i guess it varies by brand. i use the costco kirkland brand.

2. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i use it on my eggs and sprinkle some on my tuna/rice combo.
    I also add it into my shake.

3. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

I've heard it's a 'good' fat right? :dunno:

4. texchef

texchef Guest

If you use olive oil use extra virgin olive oil. It is more expensive but is better for you. extra virgin is made from the first cold pressing of the olives and doesn't have junk in it from the second or third pressings.

Smoke point: don't worry about it because you are NOT deep frying with it. NEVER deep fry with olive oil.

Olive oil is very healthy as it is very high in monounsaturated fats...specifically oleic acid. There are some articles that have been written that say that a diet high in mono fats can reduce heart disease. Also has benefits as an antiinflamatory, antithrombotic and an antihypertensive.

5. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

yea i know all about the health benefits of olive oils, i was just wondering about cooking with it. so just cooking it in a pan seems okay it seems. thanks for the info.

6. texchef

texchef Guest

Use it anywhere you would need to saute' or pan fry. Blanche some broccoli in boiling water, remove and drain well. Add to hot pan with some oilive oil, add slivered almonds and a little salt and pepper. Enjoy, get broly.

7. bear

bear frankly rover i dont give a "woof

8. Zoomba

Zoomba New Member

Romans would disagree with you, some things are deep fried in extra virgin olive oil. Could be because it's a lot more plentiful there.

Personally, extra virgin olive oil is too expensive and too good on it's own to be used in a deep fryer, and it would likely change the chemical composition so that it's not so healthy anymore.

9. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Maybe they use "normal" olive oil. If you want to crank the heat, it's better to use lower quality olive oil because it's less vulnerable.
    Canola oil is a easily accessible alternative that has a high smoke point.

10. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

dont use extra virgin olive oil for cooking

even if it's to make eggs, it will smoke

no idea what that 1 guy above is talking about...everyone else here is saying to use normal olive oil

11. texchef

texchef Guest

After 2 years of culinary school and 6 years in almost every aspect of the industry I can honestly say you are a dumb ass and need to have someone else do your cooking for you.

Extra virgin is fine to cook with as long as you are controling your heat. If you cant control your heat when cooking fucking eggs go buy some frozen Jimmy Dean shit and call it food. I'll make 100 different dishes and use Extra Virgin every time and it will never smoke.

12. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

jimmy dean and eggos :drool:

I have a huge bottle of Extra Virgin Oil. I only thought of using it in salads. What else can i use EVO in?

13. lawrencel715

lawrencel715 New Member

i've been using it in pasta, that goes pretty well.

14. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

:uh: thats why i bought it. I wanted to do some salads and pastas. Thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.