Convince me to switch from PC to Apple... I need a new notebook

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Inferno, Jul 11, 2005.

1. Inferno

Inferno New Member

:wavey:

Okay, I've heard so many great things about apple that I REALLY want to try them, and I couldn't think of a better time then now. I need a new notebook.

So I was shopping, and I'm really torn between an iBook and the dell inspiron 6000.

Okay, I'm sure you all know what specs the 12.1 inch ibook has, so here are the specs for the dell.

[​IMG]

They're about the same price, although the dell has a million times better features. Dvd burner, 60gb hdd, 512mb memory, 15.4 inch lcd, and I believe a faster processor.

Now what could you guys seriously say to make me switch to an iBook and give up all the extra features for the same price.

Don't get me wrong, I REALLY want to switch to apple... but those extra features > OSX IMO.

Convince me.

2. verbal

verbal Active Member

I don't have my Apple yet, but I can tell you one major point..

MUCH less OS / software maintenance.

3. Inferno

Inferno New Member

well I dont know if the OS is worth me giving up all those extra features.

4. urban ape

urban ape take that take that take that

it is. just bump the ram up to ~512 or 768 and bump the HD size up and the price will be comparable to the dells anyway.

the 12" size of the ibook makes it super easy to transport and sit on your desk in college. i have one, so im telling you this from personal experience.

as for the processor, its kind of apples and oranges since the ibook is using a g4 with a risc construction set. the numbers aren't directly comparable.

5. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

If you buy a dell, you will end up having to spend more money for security/antivirus/spyware software, so why not just get the ibook and not have to worry about all that bullshit, or have to pay for any of that software? and the simple fact that the ibook can run os x makes it worth the extra money.

6. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Spyware and viruses arent a problem for me... and all the software I need I already have, and I'd rather carry around something thats 15 inches then 12 inches. Does the apples store charge tax?

7. inamorata

inamorata New Member

no, apple's store is doesnt have to follow the rules laid down by the US government

8. untoastytoast

yes, the apple store charges tax. You can get an ibook for a lot cheaper though.

9. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I've never spent a dime on antispyware software and I currently use a free antivrus and I have zero problems with XP. OSX is pretty but until there's more software for it than a Palm, switching is a tough sell. With all of the muli-computer people and families out there, Apple should have focused more on getting people to add a Mac to the family instead of switching. A Mac-only person is going to come across a lot more programs they can't run than a PC-only person will unless they resort to super slow VPC.

10. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

Summary • 512MB DDR266 (256MB built-in & 256MB SO-DIMM)
    • 80G
    B Ultra ATA drive
    • SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
    • AirPort Extreme Card
    • Keyboard & Mac OS X - U.S. English
    • 14-inch TFT XGA display
    • 1.33GHz PowerPC G4
    • ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 w/ 32MB DDR video memory
    Estimated Ship:
    1-3 business days
    Free Shipping

Subtotal$1,511.00
    Honestly, if you want to switch, then switch. Don't try to find justification in price and what not if you are going to compare it to windows. I was in the same situation as you and didn't do any comparisons...I just did it.

11. Inferno

Inferno New Member

I was thinking if getting that but without the superdrive, I already have a burner on my PC.

Thats still pretty expensive :mad:

12. Inferno

Inferno New Member

Alright guys, now I'm deciding between a 14 inch ibook and a 12 inch ibook, what should I choose and why.

13. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

12inches is way too small IMO.

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

It depends on the application. For what I do with a laptop, 12" is way too big and heavy.

15. untoastytoast

choose the 14" if you want the extra screen space, or the 12" if you want it to be really portable. I have a 12" powerbook, and quite honestly, the screen is still great because it has a 1024x768 resolution, and coming from a 16" crt monitor, it's not that big of a change.

16. rpark

rpark New Member

Like what program?

17. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

then why quote that in your original post? if you don't want the superdrive, you can save $200. That will bring it down to the price you'd pay for the dell machine. and the 1.33ghz g4 ibook will run just as well, if not better, than the 1.60ghz dell.

I prefer a bigger screen and my pismo is a 14-15". I couldn't imagine anything smaller.

18. Inferno

Inferno New Member

$1386 CDN Total for the Dell Inspiron 6000

$1887.15 CDN Total for the 14 Inch iBook with basically the same specs as the dell without the DVD burner. (With the educational discount)

Is this seriously worth it? I don't know if I can justify that much of a price different on something the same or maybe a little better (OS Wise)

19. urban ape

in my opinion, that 500$ difference is worth every penny for OS X alone.

20. Inferno

Inferno New Member

List 10 good reasons why you'd pay $500 for OSX rather then getting XP and a dvd burner for free

21. Gothamist

Gothamist New Member

I agree there are some featured utilities such as Automator that could never be subsituted. The basic utilities are 100x better than windows.

22. clog

clog NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!11

I am running Tiger on an older powerPC G4, dual 500mhz processors with 1gig of ram. I have a 14in pentiumM 730 (1.6gig) winXP Pro laptop. I use the G4 98.9% of the time... it feels just as fast if not faster. macs are just amazing.

23. urban ape

why dont i let apple do it for me. www.apple.com/macosx

24. Snotfist

Snotfist I am the Urban Cowboy.

the resolution on both of the machines are exactly the same. The 14" only magnifies the type to make it fit into the 14" screen. I had a 14" iBook before I got my 15" Powerbook and I think I would rather have the 12" iBook over the 14" iBook for portablitiy ease.

25. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Paperport for starters. I use a program called Transact It to process credit cards. Then there's Google Earth "coming soon" for the Mac. We'll see long long "soon" is. I know a guy that runs an animal hospital. His brother's a big Mac guy and kept trying to get him to buy a Mac. But when he went looking for software to run the hospital, he found one or two for the Mac and tons to choose from on the PC. I like having lots of things to choose from so I can make up my own mind. Since Windows is the dominant platform, that's where all the development energy goes.