Convince me not to buy this piece of shit v.Bronco

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by J_75, Jun 28, 2007.

1. J_75

J_75 New Member

I've always loved Bronco's and came across this beautiful piece of shit on the side of the road on my way home from work.

[​IMG]

I called the owner and got a little bit of info....he says it runs fine, comes with a plow, $1000 OBO, A/C works.

I went back today and looked around it a bit and inside. Rust everywhere (I know I should just stop here and walk away, but...), bondo all over the rear, seats are torn with springs coming through, some junk in the back (bucket, manual, and radiator?).

So I told the guy I'd like to meet up with him this weekend and take it for a spin, and he agreed.

I really want a project truck, and I love Bronco's and have always wanted one. This seems to fit the bill if it is as good as the owner says it is.....it needs a lot of work, but for that price, even if it falls apart in a year, I'm not gonna be too heartbroken.

Is this totaly retarded?

Here's some more pics I took of it today:

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

walk away.

3. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

i concur.

a project truck should have a good base .... and this one doesnt.

project = no rust .... body swap = rust.

4. J_75

J_75 New Member

Alright, say it wasn't for a project truck....just for shits and giggles.

Think it's worth $600?

I don't know why, but I freaking love this thing :mad:

5. seejay

seejay New Member

What was your first instinct? Did you want to buy it on the spot, and made yourself reconsider? Or did you think it was a bad idea from the start and are trying to talk yourself into it?

Think back ... your first instinct is ALWAYS the right one. Learn to trust that and you'll never go wrong.

6. J_75

J_75 New Member

I've been looking for a Bronco for awhile, and a friend of mine called me up and told me about this sitting on the side of the road.

Honestly, when I saw it my first instinct was "I want this NOW".

But that's the problem. #1 I don't trust my instincts because I'm not a "real" truck guy (never owned one, just have a bunch of friends who offroad), and #2 I'm not that mechanicaly inclined, but I'm trying to learn.

A friend of mine is coming on Saturday to help me decide on the truck. He's a pretty good mechanic from what I know, so maybe he can talk me out of it.

As of now, I'm going to offer the guy 600$ cash and see what he says.

Fuck, I want this thing so bad.

If I actualy buy it, can I finaly be a part of a crew? :x:

7. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

Twin I-beam = crap

go buy a solid axle bronco

8. J_75

J_75 New Member

Why do you hate my (future) baby? :hs:

Did some research at work, and talked to the owner again. He's a mechanic (could be good or bad), and seemed pretty straightforward about everything....it's an '85, so I could get historic tags if I wanted and also skip emissions and inspection :bigthumb:, he says the odometer doesn't work, so he doesn't know mileage :noes:, radiator in the back is because he thought he busted the one in there, but it was just a hose, so he left it in the back:hyper:, missing muffler, but he says he'll put one on if I want (this caught me off gaurd)

I'm still holding out hope something will go wrong and I won't love it :wtc:

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

walk away

10. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

I think you should get it if you can afford it. If it runs and drives fine, it will be a fun thing for you to have and you'll be happy.

11. J_75

J_75 New Member

I got it for 800. I love it. Drives pretty well...no transmission whine, engine sounds pretty good, coolant is pretty disgusting, so I gotta change that and the radiator ASAP, suspension is (as expected) sagging all around.

My buddy that went with me said to change all the hoses and belts as cheap insurance, so I'm doing that as soon as I can. He also said to to replace the sparkplugs, oil, oil filter, oil, etc on the engine (complete tune-up, I guess) for the same reason.

Calling my insurance agent on Monday and (hopefully) setting it up as a pleasure vehicle so I don't have to pay much. If my agent is halfway decent I'll have the insurance papers by the end of the week and I can go register it and get tags.

It needs a shit ton of work.....

I never in my life thought I'd have to buy ant traps for any of my vehicles, but I just did.

It's a carbed 351W, so that will be interesting to learn about.

I think I'm gonna sell the plow for 200 OBO.

God damn, I'm happy.

Also, I appreciate all the advice. I know it was a stupid buy, but I love it.

12. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

It can't be a stupid buy if you enjoy it. Glad you like it. :)

13. pdb574

pdb574 New Member

Sounds like a money pit but hey it will be fun!

I think LMC truck has a catalog available for parts. Google it.

14. J_75

J_75 New Member

Definately a money pit, but except for a house (and 401K, etc.), what isn't?

Thanks for the LMC tip, looking it up now :bigthumb:

Changed my mind on insuring it so quickly.....agent said I could get it for 380$/year if I wanted it immediately, and 260$/year if I started the policy on the 15th of the month. That was kind of a no-brainer. Not to mention I need to do some work on it before I would even feel comfortable taking it more than 5 miles from my house.

I still fucking love this thing. Getting out of my friends Acura RSX, or my Maxima, the torque on it is just sick. Of course, it tops out at about 40mph for various reasons (dirty carb, tired engine, etc.), but even in idle it pulls along at a steady 5 mph up a 15 degree hill at the beginning of my neighborhood. Just :cool: to someone used to driving japanese cars.

I got the "Auto Repair" for dummies book I ordered online, and its pretty easy to read and useful. Hopefully I don't fuck anything up too bad.

15. imsobored

imsobored New Member

if you buy it, you will die!

is that convincing enough?

16. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

go buy it ... then come back in a week and tell us how right we were.

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

he already bought it and its nearing a week

18. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

well, if you like it, its tough to talk you out of it. everyone makes those stupid "toy" car purchases, live and learn.

Mine was an 83 Jeep Cherokee. Inline 6, automatic, 4wd. But it was cheap. And it had the title/vin swapped to a 73... so no smog. It was a gutless wonder, but looked kinda cool other than a dent in the rt rear. The oil was a milkshake. It leaked.... everywhere. It stranded me a couple times. It quickly became a money pit. The 4wd wouldn't work. It would stall at lights. It sounded like a Kubota tractor.

I was at the point of spending 3-5k just to get it running right, by either swapping in an XJ 4.0L, or putting a chevy 350 in it. I decided to just sell it, and bought a 94 Cherokee.