Converting VHS to DVD?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by metalfan111, Dec 12, 2006.

1. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

I want to convert my VHS to DVD. I have a working VHS player and a DVD burner so I just need to know of a way to connect my VHS to my computer and record the video to my computer so I can burn it to a DVD. Anyone know what I need to do this?

I found a few things but they cost like $100. Is there anything cheaper?

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You need a video capture card.

I assume that's what you were talking about that cost like $100.

You can get decent ones for around $50 or so.

There's only a couple of chipsets being used, so the main difference is
    the software that comes with some of them.

I use a Winfast TV2000 Expert card, and it does a fine job.
    You can find them for under $50.

It's an extremely cpu intensive process though.

3. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Agreed. I have one and love it.
    The software it comes with is from Ulead; Ulead VideoStudio 8 SE is what came with mine.
    Just be sure to use A/V cables, or a good quality coax cable, for the captures.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814122180
    $39.99 - $10 rebate = $29.99

4. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Best bet is to find one of the consumer ones that are aimed toward doing just this (like the Pinnacle Movie Box) instead of just any old capture card. Any old capture card will work, but it will be easier if you are not technically inclined to use a setup geared to what you want to do.

Also, have you considered using a stand-alone DVD recorder? You can find them for sub-$100 these days and they work great for this kind of stuff. Nice thing is that you can transcode the video on the device then edit it on your PC and re-burn it.

Keep in mind that if you are trying to copy commercial VHS tapes that are Macrovision protected almost any capture card or stand alone recorder will either flat out refuse or you will get "Macrovisioned" output (i.e. shitty video). Of course there are ways around it, just google around.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

If you know you're gonna edit it, then why use something that's going to burn it straight to DVD?
    Look at the steps...
    VHS copied to DVD
    DVD ripped to PC
    PC edits video
    video retranscoded and burned to DVD again.

Capture card
    VHS copied to PC
    PC edits video
    video transcoded and burned to DVD (and just once)

And getting around the Macrovision isn't easy or straight forward either.

6. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Uh, because if all you want to do is change the menu or do a small edit to one vob, you can save yourself the time of recoding the entire video on a PC and let the stand alone player with the hardware MPEG encoder do it instead of some shitty card and a software encoder. That way you only recode the VOB you edited. Hell, most DVD software will even allow you to edit it directly if it is recorded to RW media. I do it all the time with Nero Vision.

And getting around VHS Macrovision is a fucking snap. There are plenty of hardware filters and even a few software filters available to do it.

7. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Bullshit on all counts, but ok if that's waht you want to believe

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

The Winfast TV2000 Expert card has the same 10 bit hardware encoder that the external boxes use. (by Philips, I think...)

Back in the days of VHS, Macrovision actually was very easy to beat.

9. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have an ati all in wonder 9600, it will take composite rca, svideo or coax cable

it's good if you expect vhs quality video and stereo audio. for a capture program, i've been using nero vision express, it works decently.

i would almost recommend the recording to dvd-rw with a dvd recorder, only reason is that capturing video is super processor intensive (as noted) and it will drop a certain amount of packets. i'm not sure how many packets the hardware based method will drop, but it might be less (depending on how fast your computer is)

10. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

Once I get that, what cables will I need to plug the VCR into it?

11. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

looks like you can just plug in composite rca plugs(decent quality) or s-video(best quality) if your vcr supports that
    although you can plug in coax cable, but that will give you the worst quality
    [​IMG]

12. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Really? So, ignoring the fact that I FUCKING EDIT DIRECTLY ON DVD-RWs RECORDED FROM MY STAND ALONE RECORDER ALMOST WEEKLY what parts are BS? Is it BS that a hardware encoder is faster than a software encoder? Or that if you edited a single VOB you don't have to recode the entire entire DVD? Or that it's easy to bypass macrovision (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLJ,GGLJ:2006-47,GGLJ:en&q=macrovision+filter)?

Really, where is the BS again? 'cause I'm not seeing it.