Converting movies to H.264 for iTunes...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by John Galt, Jan 11, 2007.

1. John Galt

John Galt New Member

I'm in the process of converting my complete video collection into H.264 for compatibility with iTunes for the Apple TV/iPhone/Front Row compatibility...but I can't find a consistent solution.

I finally settled at a video bit rate of around 650 kbps, but now no matter what I use (ffmpegx/iSquint), the output generated is unacceptably darker to me.

Does anyone have a consistent solution they used to convert movies for iTunes? That would be IMMENSELY helpful to me.

2. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

i've only coverted a couple of movies and eps but have had good results with QT pro

3. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

I was trying to do this as well, to see if it would be feasible to convert all of my already ripped DVDs to H.264 format, so I could import them into iTunes for use with AppleTV. I was able to get perfect video quality from many different programs, but my biggest issue was that it changed the sound from 5.1 to stereo.

I thought about QT Pro, but I don't think it can convert DVDs, unless you ripped them to some other format first.

4. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Turns out VisualHub with forced Quicktime decoding is the best choice, for future reference.

5. John Galt

John Galt New Member

Did you try HandBrake yet? I don't know if that does what you want, only thing I know is its popular. :o

6. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

VisualHub was one of the ones I was using, but only got stereo sound. Are you getting 5.1 sound from it?

7. Dorian Gray

Dorian Gray Guest

Yup, but same problem - stereo sound only.

8. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

Handbrake always worked for me. They made a "light" version that would export to PSP/iPod bitrates/formats with the press of a button.

9. Blair

Blair New Member

10. John Galt

John Galt New Member

11. John Galt

John Galt New Member

No, I'm just getting good quality video...my newest TV is from '96 so I don't even care about surround. :/