Converting (.mov to .mpeg) help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexican, Sep 27, 2005.

1. Sexican

Sexican New Member

So, I just bought a new digital camera...recorded some videos...uploaded them. They save as .mov files (QuickTime Player) by default...and I'm trying to figure out how to convert them to mpegs. I downloaded a converter and I get this error message when I try and convert them...I don't know if this is the right kind of converting program I need, but it seems like it is besides the damn error message.

Right before attempt to convert: [​IMG]

Error message: wont let me thumbnail this image for some reason so here's the direct link to the image http://img345.imageshack.us/img345/2001/error6xf.gif

Instead of clicking on the direct link, copy/paste it otherwise it won't work right.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Can you play the .mov file after you copy it from the camera to the machine?

Are you sure that program is able to convert .mov files?

Take a look at www.dvdrhelp.com. Click on the guides link on the left and then search for .mov -> .mpg or however you want to convert and you should find plenty of info on how to do it. Don't forget to change the search in field from new guides to all guides.

HTH.

3. Sexican

Sexican New Member

Ok, I ended up doing the search and finding "something" although I must say http://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/124856.php doesn't make alot of sense to me... There must be an easier way than all that, because that defenitely is a different language to me :p Any simpler processes?

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Sorry, I didn't realize there was only one guide on the site... I skimmed through it and it didn't look too bad, but probably a pain in the ass.

I also read that a program called Vegas Video could convert the .mov for you.

Do you know if you are able to change the format of the videos on your camera to something else?

5. Sexican

Sexican New Member

I am not familiar with these type of programs in the least...but also, my friend told me that a program called DivX could do it? I have heard of this program before, but unsure of what it does, and/or how to get it.

I checked the camera, and there is no option to select which type of format it saves as on the camera...any other ideas?

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'd go to google and start searching...

There has to be a program out there.