Converting from NTFS to FAT

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lurker111, Oct 16, 2004.

1. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Yes this sounds unconventional but here is the reasoning:
    I have Win98 on the home computer. Needed Win2K server for school. I installed it at home (in NTFS) on a partition of my harddrive. Now I get a free harddrive from school with Win2K server already on it and so I would like to dump Win2K from the harddrive that is already installed at home. I have been unsuccessful in using fdisk to remove the non-DOS partition. I don't really want to sit here copying over 20GB of data onto CDs just to reformat my entire harddrive (no DVD burner).

I DO NOT CARE about the data on the NTFS partition. Can I just use software such as partition magic to do what I want?

2. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

If you want to reformat a NTFS partition to FAT, that's very simple. There are so many ways that I can think of.

Use a Linux installtion CD will do the trick, as well as windows NT4/2000/2003/XP installation CD will do as well.

In fact I think I used fdisk to get rid of ntfs partition before as well.

Alternatively you can boot up Win2K from the new HD and use disk management.

If you want to convert existing NTFS partition into a FAT file system without losing the data, I don't know if that's possible, even if there is, I won't trust it.

3. grubslinger

grubslinger Guest

fdisk cannot delete ntfs partitions if they reside inside an extended partition(which is probably what you have setup since the primary partition is win98 and pre win2k versions of windows only support 1 primary partition...thus when you created the second partition it must have been in an extended partition) In other words, fdisk will not remove that ntfs partition under any circumstances. Other than that, fdisk can usually delete an ntfs partition as long as it is setup as a primary partition.

There are many ways you can rid yourself of that partition. some were mentioned above.

I would suggest one of the 3 following methods.

-boot from 2000 CD and remove the partition using the windows setup, but do not actually install windows. you can format this partition as fat if you wish at this point as well.
    -partition magic might do the trick for you
    -boot from the other hard drive and use disk management as was mentioned above

fyi, there is no method that I know of to convert a partition from ntfs to fat, at least not native to windows. There *may* be some 3rd party utilities that can do this but I have never seen any. In all reality, I never considered doing that either.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If your BIOS has a means to wipe the HD, that's another way as well.

5. grubslinger

grubslinger Guest

the point was that he did not want to lose his win98 partition. That method would do a low level format of the entire drive which would result in complete data loss.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Oh - I see, well make the server HD the master hardrive instead of the slave, it will boot up into w2k server and then away you go.

7. Lurker111

Lurker111 New Member

Thanks for the responses.

I don't have the win2k disk (the professor let us take a copy home which we had to bring back). I cannot install the 2nd harddrive until the end of this quarter. It is in a removable harddrive case and I don't have a docking station on my home computer (at the end of the quarter I will take it out of the case which will involve desoldering some wires...and that prevents me from just taking it out of the case on a temporary basis just to move data off the currently installed hard drive).

I'll see if I can get a win2k disc next week when I have class as that seems to be my easiest choice available.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

Most removable harddrive case are NOT hardwired.