Converting Audio Files

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LudaMan, Mar 15, 2005.

1. LudaMan

LudaMan New Member

I dont know if any of you get music from musicmatch, but i do, but lately the program has been running really laggy and sucking up more memory than winamp or iTunes. So I tried to play it in Winamp, but it has to convert it to AAC, but it says it is a protected WMA file. Any way around this so i can get my songs to play on iTunes or winamp?

2. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

Well, if it is a protected WMA, you should be able to play it in Winamp without a problem as long as you have the current version of Windows Media Player installed (it'll use the codecs from that). However, I would then use the Winamp plugins Output Stacker and LameOut to convert the protected WMA files to a MP3 file you can use in anything.

Now, I don't use MusicMatch (I've always hated that thing) so I may be missing something.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WMA and MP3 are both "lossy" codecs, meaning that you lose quality when converting to either format. If you take a source, create a WMA of that source, and then convert the WMA to an MP3, then you will have the disadvantages of both formats, and the advantages of neither.

4. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Play it with the output device being a file, so you get a raw audio stream, then convert it to whatever you like (preferably a lossless format, since if you convert it to a lossy format you will have lost further quality off the already lossy WMA).