Convertible Top Cleaning

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by IslanderOffRoad, Feb 11, 2005.

1. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

My girlfriend wants me to teach her how to properly wash a car. I'll probably get nowhere near that point (she'd get bored) but I'm gonna show her how to keep it looking relatively good. The only thing is her car is a convertible (02 Mustang V6) with a white top and white leather. I have no experience with convertibles, anything different I need to know for cleaning the top? Whats the best way to keep dirt off of it? Are there any special top cleaners that are worth considering? What about the white leather? Any good cleaner for white, my car has black leather, can I use the same stuff (Black Magic leather cleaner)

Thanks in advance.

2. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

you can use megs APC+ it works pretty well. If not then you can use raggtop for vinyl tops.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Upholstry shampoo also works on convertible tops. You don't need to use any special cleaners on white leather. Just go with what has been working for you on black.

4. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

Here's the thing about it... I don't know if I'm happy with my leather cleaner.

I've got an 03 Mustang GT, Black leather, my leather feels a bit hard
    Her 02 Vert, White leather, feels buttery soft, and I don't want that to change. I'm wondering if my cleaner is the problem.

5. 6']['9

6']['9 New Member

No offense but the ford leather sucks! i done a couple ford trucks, suv's mustangs and it seems to soften up but it gets hard again.:naughty: The only leather i like is that on the King Ranch but thats hard too. I dont think thats real leather anyway, BUT if it is try leatherique. they sell oils that will penetrate the leather making it soft again. I just dont know which parts are leather and which parts are pleather. I have the same problem on my TA.

6. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Woolite and water (see product list sticky) is the best leather cleaner I have used. It will also make the leather feel softer, even before you condition it. For conditioning, I've been using the Turtle Wax Leather Cleaner and Conditioner (but only for conditioning, the cleaning action is very mild) and it works great. Really the only TW product I like and use.

FWIW, I detailed a Navigator yesterday and the leather tag hung from the driver's seat headrest recommended using Tanner's Preserves for conditioning. It does an excellent job but it isn't always easy to find.