convert to SATA?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by mindtrix, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mindtrix

mindtrix FrozynFyre sponsored me

currently my computer is all ide. my hdd is about to die so i need to upgrade. i found a good deal on a 300gb sata hdd but my box is all ide. how do i go about converting or whatever to sata?

thanks

2. GeeGee

GeeGee New Member

Sata and IDE are motherboard sockets. You would need another motherboard in order to convert. Just go with a 300gb IDE - same price.

3. CastorTroy

CastorTroy New Member

There are adapters you can use to plug a SATA HDD into a standard IDE controller, or you could get a off-board SATA controller card for around $15. I wouldn't buy a new IDE drive nowadays since IDE controllers are slowly dissapearing and SATA has a few good benefits over IDE.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Native Command Queueing alone is worth the price to upgrade to SATA. It lets the hard drive determine the most time- and movement-efficient order to fill requests for data, so it doesn't waste precious milliseconds swinging the reader arms wildly back and forth during heavy usage. That makes it quieter too, in addition to faster.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I would choose an IDE drive operating off an on-board controller over a SATA drive operating off a PCI controller.

That said, if you have a mobo that supports SATA, then go for it. If you don't, then stick with IDE.

6. deusexaethera

It doesn't make a lick of difference, in terms of performance. The onboard disk controller is hooked up to the same wires as a PCI slot would be. The only caveat is that the offboard SATA card probably won't interface with the computer's BIOS, so all the settings for the SATA disks would have to be done via the BIOS built into the card instead. In real life, it isn't that big of a compromise to make to get the latest tech.

7. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

What jolly is getting at is a regular 32 bit PCI bus is only capable of running at ~132MBps max, 64 bit PCI bus at ~264MBps (most pc's don't have a 64 bit PCI bus). Therefore just one SATA drive on a PCI controller would theoretically over commit the bus which is why he'd be most likely better off using the regular PATA connections unless he upgrades to a new mobo. The PCI bus is as well shared among all the PCI slots so add a sound card and one other PCI card and you potentially cut down performance quite a bit.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

What SATA have drive can actually sustain 133MB/sec?

9. deusexaethera

Furthermore, those same limitations apply to IDE drives, and theoretically a DVD drive streaming data to an ATA133 hard disk on a separate cable could saturate the bus as well. Actual sustained transfer speeds are always much lower than the rated maximum, and since SATA has several features that improve durability and response time (which has nothing to do with throughput on the bus), it's still worth the money to convert. Besides, he can always keep the drive when he upgrades his motherboard.

10. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

It's a good point but that's why i put "theoretically". Stand alone you won't see the transfer rate up that high, it'd have to be a raid set to approach and go beyond that speed.

11. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

I agree that SATA is the way to go, I just want to make sure no one thinks that because SATA is capable of 150MB/sec, that doesn't mean much relative to PCI's 133MB/sec because NO drive today can sustain anywhere near that speed. If you threw three raptors and a GigE adapter on the bus, that's another story.

12. mindtrix

mindtrix FrozynFyre sponsored me

13. Mikey D

Mikey D New Member

14. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Is there such a thing as a RAID ready hard disk? I picked up a Maxtor SATA drive today for someone and the box says its RAID ready. Um, isn't every hard disk RAID ready?

15. deusexaethera

Yes, but the 1/10¢ sticker netted them another $150 sale, didn't it?

16. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Not from me. I got it because it was the only 100GB SATA drive they had. I didn't notice the sticker until I got home.

17. deusexaethera

Ah well then. I guarantee it worked on somebody out there.

18. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

:rofl: :rofl:

19. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The point isn't that a drive can sustain 133MB/sec, it's that the PCI bus can't. I guarantee that an onboard controller is going to outperform the majority of PCI-based controllers.

20. deusexaethera

And I counter-guarantee that an onboard controller is hooked up to the PCI bus anyway, so there could be no concievable performance gain from an onboard vs. offboard controller, given comparable equipment on each side of the comparison.

Furthermore, the PCI bus CAN sustain 133MB/s, it just can't sustain that speed across EACH of the devices connected to it unless there is only one device. It has to split the bandwidth. So if you have a TV tuner and a Sound Blaster pumping out 5.1 and you're using both an SATA card and the onboard IDE controller, then no you won't be impressed.

Disabling at least one of the onboard IDE channels to free up some extra bandwidth for the SATA card is strongly advised.

21. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Actually, you're wrong -- which is turning into a frequent occurance. Many motherboards have the sata controllers run through the southbridge -- not the PCI bus.

22. deusexaethera

That's unfortunate, then. The Northbridge runs the PCI bus, and it has a closer connection to the CPU and the RAM than the Southbridge does.

My older computers had the IDE controller wired into the PCI bus. I can't imagine why they would have changed that.

23. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Depending on the chipset, the southbridge can communicate much faster with the northbridge than the PCI bus can.

nForce4 in fact is a unified chipset its all together, but thats irrelevant here b/c it has SATA already. :mamoru: