Convert folder to iso file?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OakleyTodd, Oct 23, 2009.

1. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

So I have a folder of files that contains the Windows 7 files that the student download results in. Is it possible to take that folder and make an iso file that bootcamp will use to install windows?

If I leave the disc with just the files burned on it including the setup.exe file, Bootcamp wont recognize it as a windows disc, and tells me to insert one.

I also tried using disk utility to create a disk image from folder which resulted in a .cdr file and then renamed the file extension, but that doesn't work either.

2. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

3. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

I basically had to follow the instructions given here: http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/10/22/how-to-make-a-dvd-of-that-student-only-windows-7/

And do that under bootcamp on my MBP. Of course the superdrive on it decided to quit on me yesterday, so I had to make the ISO file, transfer it to an external drive, then burn the disk on the new iMac.

Hopefully everything works. When I start up bootcamp on the iMac, it partitions the drive, then I placed a Win7 Beta ISO in the drive, but when it boots to start installing Windows, I get a no bootable device-press any key to continue error, and I have to restart the iMac.

Just about done burning this ISO, so I'll see how it goes this time!

4. DouggieJ

DouggieJ OT Supporter

The DVD created from the image created by that oscdimg whatever should work as long as you have just a bit of luck. Insert into the Mac and when rebooting, look for a message like "Press any key to start from DVD/CD" and hit the key fast, it only stays up for a few seconds.

5. OakleyTodd

OakleyTodd New Member

It doesn't even show up as a boot option when I hold down the option key while booting.

I am thinking it may be because the iso file is a win7 upgrade, and not a full install. So I am going to install vista, then try the upgrade over it.

Fun times!

Edit:

Windows install began after reboot. I definitely believe it's because the W7 file was an upgrade, and not a full install.

Edit 2:

More Lulz, durring the windows set up, only the iMacs bluetooth keyboard is recognized, so I have no mouse!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009