Controlling the Windows Swapfile?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Aug 1, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is there a way to prevent a specific program on my computer from EVER being shoved into the swapfile? My father has been having problems with ProTools 7.1 throwing "Disk Too Slow" errors lately, but it only happens when the program has been allowed to sit idle for a couple of minutes. The hard drives never spin-down and the computer never goes on standby, so those aren't causing the problem.

I think ProTools is getting tucked away in the swapfile when it sits idle for a few minutes, and when he presses "Play" on his mixer, ProTools has to get yanked back into memory AND it has to start recording almost instantaneously. It could be an issue with one of the plugins he's using, but I'm trying to eliminate OS/hardware issues first because they're easier to diagnose.

So...is there a way that anyone knows of to prevent a program from getting swapped, short of disabling the swapfile entirely?

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

hmm, not that I know of with windows. It would be a good feature if it works though. There are many programs I would love to mark as "do not page". In order to fix your problem... have you tried defragging? Maybe adding more memory so that other programs doin't got the swap?

3. Schproda

Schproda New Member

How much memory do you have and how many things do you have starting up? The swap file emulates virtual RAM when you're running out.

4. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

most if not all digital audio workstation software will have an option to "arm" recording. this sort of gets everything ready and will probably solve his problem. a couple of the programs i use even have an option that when you hit arm, the software will start recording a buffer of the last 10 or 20 seconds (or however much you want) before you actaully hit the record button. hope this helps.

5. deusexaethera

I know what the swapfile is supposed to do. The problem is that Windows tends to lean too heavily on the swapfile, perhaps to counteract the constant threat of memory leakage. I dunno.

6. deusexaethera

The recording hard drive is regularly defragged. The swapfile is on a different drive and is in one piece, so there's no frag lag there. The computer has 1.5GB of RDR1066, so I doubt it's a low-memory problem. It could be a faulty plugin, as I said (apparently Waves has had a hell of a time meeting ProTools 7.1 spec, but that's their problem), but I suspect it's more of an issue with Windows swapping any application that hasn't done anything for a minute or two.

7. deusexaethera

I'll have to look into the "arm recording" feature; I have no idea if ProTools 7.1 has that or not. I do know that DigiDesign recommends that any system with a Digi002 control surface (which my father has) should allow ProTools to have up to 99% CPU usage if it wants it, but that makes no difference. I also know that it gives the option to adjust the DAE buffer size, but all the lower settings complain that "The System Held Off Interrupts For Too Long" and all of the higher settings complain that "Audio Recording Is Conflicting With Other CPU Tasks"; there is no in-between setting that works properly.

Here's why I think it's a swapfile issue: when the problem occurs, it occurs every single time playback starts, until I fiddle with enough settings, and then it works fine; when I leave it alone for a minute or two, it stops working again. That really sounds to me like ProTools (and its plugins) are getting swapped, and they can't get loaded back into RAM fast enough to catch the first few incoming packets of data from the interface box.

I really don't want to have to disable the swapfile entirely, because then I'll never be able to create a new swapfile in a contiguous block again.

8. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

i just turn the swap off alltogether :o

be sure you have enough physical ram before you do, though