SRS Controlling parents

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by runawaycamel, Jan 4, 2009.

1. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

I'd like to know when your parents stopped being so controlling.
    And I'd like to know if I was unreasonable in this situation.

I'm a 3rd year college student at home for winter break. During the school year I live in an apartment about an hour away. The rent was due on the 1st of the month and it already was going to be around 3 days late so I needed to go down there to drop it off anyways.
    My boyfriend is leaving the country for a month tomorrow and I thought it would be nice to spend the last night with him in my apartment, alone. It really does get annoying having to tip toe around parents when you're hanging out with your boyfriend (even though they know we've slept together before and it didn't seem to be a problem).
    So last night I tell my mom that I'm going to see him and that I may be going out to the city and that I'd text her if I did. Well, I did text her...and I got this influx of angry texts and calls. They thought I went behind their backs and am going to get pregnant yadda yadda etc etc...
    There didn't seem to be a problem before I left.

Anyways, I still went and am now home again. My parents had locked me out of the house so I had to break in, they got rid of my christmas present, and refuse to talk to me.
    Does this just seem a liiiiittle bit overdramatic? They are helping me pay for school and some other things, but I'm working hard to be independent. And I'm 20 years old. This seems obnoxiously overly controlling to me. Comments?

2. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

ok the end of what happened sounds a bit too far.

i just got back home from my parents house which is 400 miles away from home. I am well out of college, and just had about 2 weeks off of work, so i went down there to spend some time with them and other family. When I got back up today and called after being home for 2 hours, they got all upset because I did not call them when i got home instantly. I was never too rebellious and my parents never really got harsh on me, besides being nosy about where I was all the time, and throwing a fit if i got home too late.

I would like to see how other people react to what your parents did :eek4:

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

They seem controlling, no doubt. But honestly you can't complain IMO until you are independent. That's the way the cookie crumbles.

4. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

That's crazy but my parents can give them a run for the money. One day I was hanging out with a friend of mine that I've known for 5 years and I wasn't home by 7. My mom started calling me asking where I was and asking to speak to my friend's parents to make sure I was telling the truth.

5. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

Wow.:eek3:

6. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

... I wasn't allowed to have friends outside of school hours.

:dunno:

I think that your parents were being completely passive aggressive. There's something they're not telling you. You need to let them know that you were honest with them, you made a promise & followed through with it. Now, they need to be honest with you & fess up to what the problem is.

Either that, or you're not being completely honest in here & are seeking pats on the back. You said you told your mom your plans to go out - what about your dad? Did you avoid telling him because you knew he would react?

7. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

No friends out of school hours..in college? Or high school? Either way that's not good.

I told my dad earlier that day what I was doing. He said alright. I didn't tell him as I was leaving because he was sleeping (he works all night). It wasn't some kind of 'sneak out of the house' sort of thing, and I thought telling my mom was enough.

8. Drifter87

Drifter87 Yippi-kay-ay, Motherfucker

My parents slowly gave me my freedom.

In early high school I had to be home on school nights and on the weekends I had to sleep over at a friends house or have some arrangement for me to be home by 10pm.

When I got my drivers license it was I had to be home on school nights and for the weekends if I took the car it was 12am or leave the car and sleep over at a friends house. Eventually I was able to use the car until 2am on the weekends.

It was when I finally got to college I got near complete freedom. I have my own car (yes I paid for it myself) and the only thing my parents want to know is if I will be home for dinner. Other then that, they never really question my actions.

My parents have told me I have shown great responsibility, that is why they don't care what I do. Even when I fucked up and got a speeding ticket at 17, I wen to court, delt with it, and moved on.

9. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Wait I'm confused. You live on your own, right? Why were you going to their place and "breaking in" anyway?

10. runawaycamel

runawaycamel New Member

I have an apartment, but my parents get mad if I don't come home for breaks. I was breaking into my parent's house because that's where I'm living on break. I would gladly stay in my apartment, though.

11. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

then do so. If you have your own place and own source of income, there's nothing stopping you from staying at your place.

I reread the thread. If they had locked you out, gotten rid of your christmas present, etc, why would you even bother trying to get back in?

I understand them wanting you to visit on breaks. So, visit them. But when you are ready to leave, just go. You're an adult, you don't have to check with them if it's ok to leave. You simply tell them "it was great seeing you, but I'm going to head back now" and go.

12. CorpseStreet

CorpseStreet New Member

Your parents hate feeling like they are losing control over your life and the ability to have a say in everything you do. It's hard for them to let go and they probably don't know how to deal with things. Just deal with the blows as they come, that's what I do.

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

:werd: I don't get the breaking in. If my parents locked me out when I was visiting on the holidays, I'd go home, call them to tell them I'll be by tomorrow to get the rest of my stuff, and then show up to get it.

On the other hand, I'm not dependent on them to pay for my school, so... :dunno: