Control Network Useage

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nucklearknight, Mar 3, 2010.

1. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I like to play games on my computer like Counter Strike and such. Games that require a good internet connection. My roommates (4 of them) like to download things on the internet which take up a lot of bandwidth.

We have comcast and we can get about 2gb down speed usually but a lot of the times my games are lagging because they are downloading.

Is there a way I can control the network usage in the apartment? Is there a way I can "reserve" bandwidth for playing games and then let them use whatever is left? Anything that might help that doesn't involve them having to stop their online activities while I play video games.

2. Chris

Chris New Member

The best solution would probably be to set up QOS in your router

3. cbanta

cbanta New Member

That, depending on your router, it probably already has it setup, you just need to turn it on, if you google it there should be all sorts of information on setting it up for Live, and there might also be a setting to give certain ports on the router priority over others.

4. FormulaLS1

FormulaLS1 Member

Yea you def need a router with QoS

5. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I found the QoS settings and turned them on. Getting much better performance in my game now. Thanks!