A&P contracts??

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ben.str, May 14, 2007.

1. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i have been working at a multi-media production co. for a few months now i and i have been an intricut part of getting it off the ground. we have been doing small projects, like commericals and such. all of a sudden my boss/friend wants me to sighn a contract saying that i cant do my own work for money, even if i am using my own equipment. i have had a few people come up to me and ask for a prject just by me, and they arnt gonna go to the co. any wayse. if i sighn this contract i wouldnt be able to do this at all. has any one been in this sisuation? anybody have any ideas on what to do? i really dont want to sighn this but i dont think i have enough fan base built up to just go freelance. so idk what to do.

2. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

that's bullshit. it's one thing to leave and start your own company, but doing work for friends and stuff who would never go to the company you work at anyway is retarded.

if I had to sign one of those at my jobs, I would be royally fucked.

3. ben.str

ben.str New Member

so this contract is bull shit, i have heard of people haveing contracts like this before but i have been told that he cant do anything about it if i am using my shit. the only thing i would have to worrie about is my job. never though a friend would put me in this sisuation.

4. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

It sounds like an Non-Compete agreement on crack. Simply talk to him about it and let him know you're not comfortable with it. If you're willing, have him revise it to say it's fine as long as you're not stealing customers or using their equipment.

Whatever you do, don't sign it though. You're just setting yourself up for disappointment and a feeling of being unfulfilled if you do.

5. ben.str

ben.str New Member

yeah we already talked about it and he was really open to talk about it and he chainged the part where your not alowed to work in the same market for 18 months, but he refuses to change anything else about it. so im stuck in a position where i eather get only 9 bucks an hr to eddit footage, create dvd make commericals, print ads. 15% if i bring them in but, it just dosnt seem worth it.

6. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i am at work right now and he asked me why i am crabby so i told him that it is because of the contract, and we had some words about it and got into a big fight about it, i found it kinda funny, so i figured i would put make a post about it.

7. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

what was the final outcome?

Just let him know how ridiculous it is. That's like making a taxi driver sign a contract saying he can't drive a car unless it's during business hours.

8. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i think i am gonna use that one it better than haveing both of us just start yelling haha. idk if i sighn it, its almost like im sighning away my creative sole and if i dont sighn it im out of work, and all the other co. in town are so small they dont need any one else.

9. ben.str

ben.str New Member

the final out come the boss stomped out of the office and went home and he told me that maybe i should just be freelance.

10. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

:wtf: are you serious? what a little bitch. By signing that stupid thing you really would be signing away your soul.

Maybe you would be better off somewhere else if he's going to continue being a punk ass bitch.

11. ben.str

ben.str New Member

yeah i think that might be my best option, the shitty thing is i really like the work i have been doing recently at least, makin commericals that are better than anything we have around here. it would just be kinda boreing just doing wedings and shit. idk we are supposed to sighn them soon think im gonna have my friends dad take a look at it. that way he can use his lawyer skills on it.

12. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

cool. just don't sign your creativity away. you've always got to leave yourself an out. You can't stop building your portfolio simply because you have a full time job :greddy:

Your boss needs to get his nuts kicked by a horse.

13. crazykid

crazykid New Member

I hope you learn to spell sign soon...

14. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

:werd: but seriously, dont sign that shit. and if youre as good as you say you are then just stop showing up, he'll be back.

15. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Tell your current clients what's happening and see if you can sway them your way. :dunno: Might seem a little unethical, but so does that contract in my eyes.

16. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

I would never sign a contract like that for ANY job...find a new job

17. joy division

joy division New Member

Tell them double the salary and you're all theirs. I know some industries that do this kind of shit frequently...

18. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Like someone already mentioned, it's a non-compete form... it's not that unusual really. I had one in my last job.

Just read the contract carefully to make sure it's not too harsh. Yeah, you might pick up work on the side from friends and such...but your company is putting an investment into you in the form of your salary and training. It's understandable they want to protect that.

If your boss is cool, he might not care about that side work from your friends. But what he's probably fearing is having one of his own employees undercutting his own business. Or, just waiting around till you have enough side customers of your own to leave and be another competitor.

If it's too harsh and your boss is stubborn. Leave. But if he's paying you pretty good and you're enjoying the job and you're learning from it. I think it's reasonable that your boss can ask you for your loyalty to a certain extent.

Last edited: May 15, 2007
  19. ben.str

ben.str New Member

yeah it is a non-compete contract. it just seems to harsh for a job where i can only get 12hr a week and get $9hr. he did say that i would get 15% of any clients i bring in but i dont have that big of a fan base, at least yet. because of these factors i dont feel that i would be undercutting the business. he said he is revising the contracts but all he is takeing out is the part that said after leaving the co. you cant work in the same market for 18 months. he is giveing me the contract today and wants me to sign it today. i told him i had to have my parents look at it and our lawyer, and he through a hissey fit. he said no you have to sign now, and you have had it for a month, but i havnt even gotten the revised contract. God never work for friends.

20. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

holy fuck. you're working 12 hours a week for $9 an hour and he expects you not to have side work? :ugh2:

Fuck that. I'd straight up crumble that shit up in his face and walk out, never to return.

That's the most absurd thing I've heard all week.

21. di3soft

di3soft Guest

walk ive done it before, shit like that for minimum pay is not needed tell him 20$ and hour and youll sign it if not be polite say thank you and walk out, might lose a friend but real friends would want you to succede so they wouldnt make you sign that shit. /rant

22. ben.str

ben.str New Member

yeah thats kinda what i did yeasterday, but the reason i took this pay in the first place is because it is a starting co. being the director of film and photo. sounds good on a resumay, and he is my friend. orgianily he wanted me to start at 7.25, but i got him up to 9.

23. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I'm sure you could get a job at office max for more than 9 bucks an hour.

Also, only working 12 hours a week doesn't make it seem like you have very much responsibility :dunno:

24. quid

quid I Piss Excellence OT Supporter

word. and just because he's a friend doesnt mean you need to be decent to him. hes basically shitting in your mouth. if some bum walked up to you and shat on you would you be nice to that guy?

if you were full time, it would be pretty normal to at least consider a contract, but as a part timer, fuck that noise. bring a lighter to work, and burn that shit in front of him.

25. ben.str

ben.str New Member

oh belive me i have thought about doing that.

this morning he came over to my house when i was sleeping and he talked to my room mate and his soon to be wife, and told them that he can be the dj, get the invtations out, take pics, take videos, do all of that sort of stuff, and for free. this was the same wedding that i was gonna do and he figured it out. he is pissing me off more every day.