Contract Programming Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Spiral Out, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

After the contract is up and the software is made, who keeps the rights to the software? Programmer or company?

The company wants some software written for a dentist but plan to market it as well. I think the programmer should get a percentage of the profit. Any thoughts?

2. StevesVR4

StevesVR4 Get Arrested

Things like that are normally called 'Contract for hire' or something like that, I don't remember the exact name off the top of my head. When you are under the terms of the contract, whatever you create belongs to the company who hired the contractor. The creater of the program usually has no additional rights to the program. If you want different terms in the contract, they need to be negotiated before signing it. If the company won't agree to shared rights (they probably won't), they will just get a different programmer.

3. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Very interesting question. Basically whoever copywrites the software, owns it. If the company you contract for mentions nothing in the contract you sign about intellectual property and them owning the writes to the code you provide, copywrite it.

Most of the time companies are smart and the contract that you agree to will give you no rights to the software once it is complete. If you want a piece of the business, then you'll have to work that out with them. Depending on the app, I'd rather just get paid and be done with it.

4. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

Why wouldn't you want a piece of what you made? Too much of a pain in the ass?

5. Ximian

Ximian New Member

End-user support, perhaps?

(ugh)

6. SLED

If a company is going to give you a piece of the action, then they aren't going to pay you shit for your development time. It's a trade off. Unless you REALLY believe in a product and it making some serious cash, why would you even want a piece? You'd be developing for free basically. I'd rather get paid. But again, it depends on the project.

7. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

The project is a full program the dentists would use. This is my first project so I know nothing about the business side of it, but I guess it would be more of a sentimental thing. Sounds kind of stupid but that's how I feel...

8. SLED

I know how you feel, but if it's an internal application then how would you quantify what percentage you earn? It sounds like you're creating a tool for dentists, not a revenue creator. And they are NOT going to give you a peice of their business... Just keep your code, copywrite it if they don't, and charge them for upgrades, fixes, etc.

9. Spiral Out

Spiral Out Active Member

The program is for a company that is going to give it to one dentist and then sell it to others.

How would I go about copywriting my code?

10. SLED