Continuing problems watching DVD's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lateralus, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I've posted about this before and really didn't get anywhere so I'm gonna give it another shot. Basically, my computer will not play DVD's properly no matter what program I use (WinDVD, PowerDVD, WMP10) I either end up with a black screen or a pink screen but perfect audio. The problem originally started when I couldn't watch DVD's at full screen (it would just go black) and now I'm having trouble constantly. I'm only getting this problem with DVD's, all other video files play perfect. This just happened out of nowhere, I built this computer in August and had never had a problem with this until last week, help? :hs:

2. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

:fawk:

3. skinjob

skinjob Active Member

I would try reinstalling the video drivers and/or uninstalling and reinstalling the DVD player software.

4. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Clean DVD player (get a cleaning kit if u want)

reinstall videocard drivers/DVD player drivers

had this problem with my mom's laptop and those steps fixed her issues. seems her laptop just had a bad install of drivers (which i'm not sure) and the inside of her drive was a bit dusty....expected after long time usage.

5. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I've done everything mentioned above and it still isn't working. I updated to the newest ATI drivers, downloaded multiple codecs and even tried using PowerDVD instead and all I get is a black or pink screen with perfect audio. I really don't want to have to reformat sense I have so much stuff on here.

6. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

how long have you had the drive? and have you been able to EVER watch DVD's on it? Could just be a defective drive, and it only errors while in DVD reading. that would be last solution though i think, possible RMA.

7. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Yeah up until last week I could always watch DVD's without issue and this problem happens in both drives I have. I'm also not just having this problems while watching DVD's in the drives, but also watching DVD's ripped on my computer. DVD's are the only video file that is giving me any problems, everything else works fine.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2005
  8. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

I've completely uninstalled my drivers for my graphics card, ran Driver/Cab Cleaner 3 and installed the updated Catalyst 5.1 drivers. I also completely uninstalled WinDVD and installed PowerDVD and there is still no change. With PowerDVD it's went from a pink screen to starting off as a black screen with audio and the picture of the movie flickering occasionally. I'm all out of ideas.

9. SEPHROTH64

SEPHROTH64 Guest

10. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

11. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Well sense nothing has worked so far I'm considering reformatting. Now I have my hard drive split up into three seperate partitions, so can I reformat just the partition with all my main system files and such without touching the other two partitions? I don't want to lose all of my games or music on the other two.

12. Gaylord Focker

Gaylord Focker 8=oOOo=D ~ ~ ~

yup, when you run the windows install it will show you all 3 partitions, just chose which one you want to install it on.

13. Lateralus

Lateralus New Member

Do I need to just stick in the XP disc and to do that or do I have to go into My Computer and right click on my main drive and select format?

14. Buttcheeks

Buttcheeks Guest

You can't format the drive XP is on while in XP ;)

15. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I use WDCLEAR to wipe my drives and check them and what not. You can't run XP while wiping your drive lol...that would be an interesting thing to watch. it's usually on a bootdisk and you boot with it after POST. you can download it for free from the western digital site i believe