SRS Continue to seek help even though things are getting worse not better?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Vatoloco, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Vatoloco

Vatoloco In a pinch, though, you could jam it into someone'

So I've been having short psychotic episodes since I was about 18. Off and on, usually not too often. I'm 28 now and I've went 3 or 4 years before between having them.

Well, I had a really bad one that got me put in the E.R. and committed about 3 months ago and ever since then I've been seeing people to "help". Psychologists, Therapists and Psychiatrists. The episodes only seem to be happening more often though.

I've been on all of these in the last 3 months, in no particular order:

Celexa
    Ativan
    Klonopin
    Seroquel
    Geodon
    Zyprexa
    Zyprexa-Zydis
    Prozac

I wonder if all the talking and proactive steps (drug taking) is actually making the problem worse since it's just a mental thing... trying to fix it keeps my mind on it type deal.

I really want this problem to go away though. When these episodes happen they scare the life out of me... I basically know for a fact that I'm dead and that I killed everyone I love. Everything in my environment seems to take on some kind of profound truth to confirm that I've killed myself and I can only stop it by killing everybody else. I do incredibly stupid things when they happen to try and get them to stop... like calling the dog groomer at 3AM to leave a voice mail saying they shouldn't trust me. Knocking on my neighbors door and telling him I'm dead and to stay away from me or he'll die too. Things that I obviously can't afford to happen.

There are a couple things that are pushing me to quit seeing people and taking the drugs they are giving me:

1) My insurance stops picking up the tab at the end of the year. I'm not a rich person and seeing these people isn't cheap and the drugs are even more expensive.

2) I had an episode about 5 years ago that also got me sent to the E.R. and involuntarily committed to the hospital. I came out of that one and didn't see a single person or take a single drug and I only had a couple of very minor episodes for the next 4 years up until this year when they started ramping up.

So do I keep talking about the problem and throwing money that I don't have at it or do I just ignore it and hope it goes away for a long while like it has in the past.

:dunno:

2. 7960

7960 New Member

thread belongs here.

I hope you find the help you need. And yes, continue to seek help. Is there really a good alternative to that?

3. Vatoloco

Well, I see my psychiatrist today for probably the last time today. I'm going to ask him about stopping everything. I'm pretty sure his answer will be along the lines of "I can't force you to do anything but I recommend you stay on the antipsycotics". Kind of a cya answer.

4. Vatoloco

I think continuing to see someone is the safe answer for people to give. My personal experience kind of says otherwise though.

And yeah this forum isn't nearly as rewarding when it comes to response time but the quality of the answers is 10x what it is in the main forum.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Get an MRI scan, epilepsia is common mistake for people who have psychotic attacks. I think your life could be improved greatly with epilepsia medicines, and could also explain why the anti-depressivia isn't working at all, for the simple reason that you have something completely else that is wrong, if it were true then you can throw all those anti-depressia out of the window and get a correct diagnosis and treatment for yoo problem, at least it wouldn't hurt to check,

A second opinion is good because everything in my gut just screams that these are not pshycotic but rather epileptic attacks, i've seen depressia and attacks as a result of depressia before but what you describe sounds more like seizures.

6. Vatoloco

I'm in the waiting room now and will respond more thoroughly when I'm not on my phone.

I've never heard of psychosis during an eplipsy attack. I'll ask the doctor about that.

And yeah, I've been on all those meds at one time or another since...... ....

7. Vatoloco

So it's really weird epilipsy was mentioned in this thread. The psychiatrist brought it up almost immediately. I didnt mention a thing about it. He has me waiting here now and is going to get me admitted to the hospital to do an EGG (I think) and some other tests.

8. Timdog

Timdog New Member

Definitely need to be on those meds for at least a month. That's how these things work. Hell, even a month might not be enough. I know it's not exactly the same but when I started accutane it took me 2 months before anything good started to happen. But within a few days my acne was GONE forever.

It's the same thing with these types of meds although I doubt they'll give you an instant change but you need to stick with them in order to get any of their effect.

9. Vatoloco

They put me in the hospital for 2 days. I spent most of New Years eve in the psyche ward. They did an MRI and Rorschash test. They were also going to do an EEG to check for seqizure but ran out of time before I had to be dishcarged (my insurance stops paying Jan 1 and there was no way I was staying passed midnight).

At first it sounded like the diagnosis was going to be schizoaffective disorder but after a couple other doctors talked to me they said it was starting to sound more like seizures, so they told me to stop taking all the anti-psychotics and put me on Ativan and Depakote.

Now that it's the new year and I have to start paying again, I'm not sure I'll go back or not for an EEG.

They still want me to go get an EEG

10. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Well how are you doing now?

11. Vatoloco

Pretty good. Thanks!

Nothing major has happened psychotic-wise anyways... so that's good. There have been more than a few times in the last month and half that I started to feel weird like something was going to happen so I would just pop some benzos and that helped.

I've stopped taking almost all the meds they gave me and only use the benzos two or three times a week. I just quit the depakote a few days ago because I don't think it was doing anything and I'm running out of it anyways.

I also haven't seen any of those same doctors since Dec 31 since my insurance won't pay anymore. I did go to some counseling last week and the week before when I found out I could get it for free from school. She told me it wouldn't be in my best interest to keep seeing them though since I could only go a max of 12 times and said I should just go back to the old doctors I was seeing before since they already knew my history. I don't really have the money to pay for all that though so I'll just deal with this on my own... I've done decent enough the last month and half so I hope it'll go okay.

12. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

dot

3 months is how long it takes just to see if one of those is woring.

13. borazhasleftthebuilding

borazhasleftthebuilding Lets Party OT Supporter

not being patient enough.

14. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Not always, we don't know the circumstances behind the switches. When I took effexor, I took a very, very low dose and even with that I was knocked out within an hour. I couldn't drive, I obviously couldn't work for long periods. It's just how my body reacted to it, and other SSNRI's. Sometimes your body tells you fast that this isn't the right thing for you.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It sounds to me like your brain chemistry occasionally gets all fucked up, but for the most part it's able to self-regulate. I think you're one of those cases where the cure is worse than the disease.

16. Vatoloco

That's the direction I'm leaning. I'm sure I have depression issues but I should be able to deal with that just by getting out more, getting more exercise, trying to socialize with real life people on a more frequent basis, etc.

17. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

that's called a side effect, dick nose.

18. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Hopefully you will be able to get medi-care soon again :hsd: , just stay with us for more advice, hopefully we can encourage you to get a job after your school is done, so that you can get your medi-care back. :wavey:

19. Vatoloco

I still have health care. I'm self-employed though so the only thing I could really afford was a HDHP plan which means I pay 100% of costs until I hit $5,000. I don't exactly have an extra $5k to throw around every year though... I'm still paying off the 5 from last year.

But I think I'll be fine. I had a weird incident where I woke up while sleeping yesterday and thought I might be losing it but I was still in reality enough to take a klonopin and just the act of taking it calmed me back down immediately... and I'm pretty sure that stuff takes at least 30 minutes to start working so I know this is all just in my head. I just need a little more will-power, not doctors.

20. blackbirdbeatle

blackbirdbeatle New Member

Ya, so it's not hard to believe that he could possibly cycle a few drugs in a short time while knowing that they don't work for him.