Content Managements Systems (CMS)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by coronet, Dec 19, 2005.

1. coronet

coronet Do Andriods Dream of Electric Sheep?

I want to use one of these for my site, since HTML+PHP+CSS by hand doesn't impress anyone anymore. Too much work! I heard Joomla! is the best, and I've also heard that Drupal is the best as well. I just really want easy news posting and a fairly editable layout. But mainly ease of use with the buttload of features still in tact.

Which one should I go for? Maybe even another one?

2. dtfromep

dtfromep New Member

I am using Joomla! and it seems to work pretty well, and is pretty customizable.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I've done a fair bit with Mambo lately. It works well.

4. coronet

Wow, actual replies :eek3:

Checking out Mambo, finding Joomla! to be quite full, although maybe too riddled with options...

5. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

Write your own CMS!

I'm doing so right now using AJAX back and front ends. Probably release my 1st alpha in 2 months. I'm doing this for my degree. We acctually have to do a huge project like this to prove we have learnt something.

6. coronet

I am soooo not writing my own program :o

I failed computer programming with a D, and that was Visual Basic .NET!

Anyways, how are Mambo and Joomla! similar? It seems like the companies split, and are working off the same project as two diffrent teams.

7. TheManLouisianaFace

TheManLouisianaFace and decide!

8. Penguin Man

Ooooh, is Joomla the project that forked from Mambo over the summer? I remember it happening, but I didn't remember the name.

9. Penguin Man

:coold: Are you allowed to release it as open-source? :x:

10. CyberBullets

yes. it will be published under the LGPL.

I will be using the PHP XAXAJ library at the start, but do plan to phase out any 3rd party software/libraries to write my own code. XAJAX handles all the javascript, which is nice and saves me time, but I consider it cheating. :noes:

There will also be 100% documentation in UML 2.0 standards, with full written explinations of everything (using proper analysis & design techniques).

It will be all object orientated, tier 3, XHTML 1.1 standards, CSS3 & WML/WAP support.

It's gonna be hard as hell, but worth it. I figure even if I can't complete the entire project, and just get a small part of it working, and all my documentation completed, I still can get an A+. My advisor is more concerned if I am able to break everything down and understand what is exactly needed instead if I can code using build and fix.

I'm still looking for a project name for it though. Anyone have some :coold: suggestions? Remember, it has to be work safe.

11. coronet

Internet Databasing Board or IDB? :dunno:

12. CyberBullets

Internet Dash Board ;)

13. JaJae

JaJae New Member

Mambo was overseen by a company called Miro. Miro decided to take control of Mambo and decide how the programmers continued the project and they clashed.

So the lead programmers went off and started their own CMS based off Mambo and called it Joomla. Miro now has some guys trying to figure out the code and continue to update Mambo, but with all the core developers gone, they have failed. The support of Miro's Mambo has also left. Almost everyone developing templates, components, modules, etc have sided with the developers on this issue and are no longer making Mambo projects. Some are still backwards compatbile, but as Joomla begins to change in it's own direction, this may no longer be the case.

Mambo got scared of Joomla and offered a truce to keep their CMS's similar to the degree that modules, components, templates would be compatible in the future. Joomla felt that would hold them back and told Miro they could do whatever they want, but they're gonna go ahead and make Joomla their own project.

If you're gonna go with either of these CMSs I would suggest Joomla. The developers are more knowledgable about the code, bringing updates more often, fixing security issues. And most of the "loyal" community has moved to Joomla. So if you need help with something you're better off going to the Joomla boards. This is not to mention that some of the new add-ons aren't available for Mambo anymore.