WEB content copying forums?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Falconer, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I just found a forum with very high SERP placement that is basically a copy of another forum's posts, except the usernames have been changed.

Are they copying info to give themselves "content" and make themselves look "legit" in the eys of google for increased SERPs?

2. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

There's a bunch of forums out there that leech content from other forums to pad out their content.. i've stumbled across a few.. but not sure exactly -why- they do it :dunno:

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

if you're a webmaster of a forum whose content is being stolen do you have any recourse?

4. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

not really...

even though you may think the data on your site is protected by copyright laws, it isnt. The design, function and feel of your site maybe protected, but it is very much up in the air on who owns the data since you are publishing it openly on the internet. Also, users have a vested interest in ownership of content as well.

Then there is jurisdiction, the copyright laws vary significantly from country to country, if the person who is stealing your content lives within the boundries of the US, but the content is hosted outside then it gets even more confusing.

Bottom line, unless you have significant $$$ behind you to sick a good name lawyer after him, your only other recourse maybe some well written legal docs sent to them.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I was just curious. It happened to a forum I'm on.

6. maxxpower

maxxpower OG Lauren Crew - Observer OT Supporter

happened here not too long ago, exact replica of OT lol.
    never could figure out how they do it, considering it was after the main was pay only i think too.

7. Yahdude

Yahdude New Member

If someone's willing to go through that much trouble to mirror a forum this size I doubt the $5 it would take to get a sub would stop them.

8. Pepsi1975

Pepsi1975 Mod of the Year

at that time rss feed was not set up to sub, so they had a bot set up to recieve the rss feed and post it

9. Swift

Swift http://www.bounceweb.com

In terms of Google and SERP... unfortunetly if a web site has a high page rank, and they copy original content from another site with a lower page rank, it will still rank higher, even if they copied.