Contemplating an EVO VIII, could use some advice

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Laserbeak, May 11, 2004.

1. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Now that I've had a chance to look at the WRX/STi, I decided to take a look at an EVO VIII.

Here's my goals for a new car:

* Fun to drive,
    * Responsive and above industry-standard performance in all areas,
    * Backed by a solid warranty,
    * A good price,
    * Solid and high endurance as a daily driver and able to go wherever I take it, and
    * Roomy.

After doing a bit of research on the EVO and comparing it to the WRX/STi for my needs/wants, I'm starting to lean the way of the EVO, because the dimensions on the inside appear to be a bit more accomodating than the WRX/STi, and the responsiveness from what I've read and seen in reviews appears to be superior to the STi based on how I want my next car to be like. It also seemed like the STi suffered from understeer way more often than the EVO, and I know I'm not a fan of understeer at all. It's doubtful that I'll even mod this at all (except for maybe a K&N / synthetic fluid conversion), since I'll need this to be at 100% every day, no matter the situation.

So with that in mind, I need a few questions answered about the EVO:

* Is the wing really functional? I'm not a fan of form / function, but I'll buy into the form if it proves to be beneficial to the car's functionality.
    * One car comparison site said that the EVO is available with leather seats. Is this true?
    * How has your EVO been in terms of reliability?
    * Is it true that the EVO has an ultra-delicate transmission?
    * What did you pay for your EVO out the door, and what was the sticker price?
    * How is insurance on the car?
    * How are maintenance costs?
    * Is your dealer anal about what you do to the car?

I'd look into something else, but with my budget, a car in the range of a 350Z/GTO just isn't going to happen this time around, and this car by far meets most of my needs without costing me a fortune.

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

Being a Evo owner my self I can help you out with your ??

Yes the Wing works at high speeds. When lifting off the throttle your rear end stays put.

Yes 04 will have Leather in GSR trim. I like my seats with out leather so it's your call

10K miles on my evo and not one problem but again only 10k miles.

Trannys seam to be fine the center diff seams to be the weak link if you intend to drag race

03 full options 28,800

Cheap about 1200 for Full with 500 deductable (live in NJ)

My dealer seams cool but again I have never had a problems

I love my EVO. It is a joy to drive.

Thinks that suck about it.

Paint is shitty
    Dents
    Stiff ride but to tell you the turth I love it.
    nosiey

That's about it.

3. MrBonus

MrBonus Et Tu, Brute?

I'm with Cachee on everything he said above. I'd like to add to the tranny/Diff discussion.

Mine are both fine and I've been at over 300 WHP for some time now. Drivetrain parts break from shock. Now, your average drag racer has one diff while the Evo has 3. With the added traction, you're simply going to have a higher chance of breaking stuff. The Evo, in comparison to many other AWD cars on the market, has a much stronger drivetrain than the average. They really did a good job with beefing it up.

Also, alot of the failures of transfer cases seem to be people that were running gear oil that was thinner than the factory Hypoid oil.

4. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Cool, thanks for the info! :bigok:

I'm not going to drag race it at all. I'm more of a road course/circuit track kind of guy, so I guess I don't need to worry about hard launching it a lot.

I should definitely give it a test drive. From what I've read, it's roomier than my mom's 03 Grand Am GT. :bowdown:

I would love to see if I could get the leather seats. I just like something comfy to sit in, especially if I've had a long day and want to spend my lunch hour taking a nap in the car. :p