SRS Constantly Stressed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Eris, May 30, 2006.

1. Eris

Eris Yes please

I am 24 and have suffered from stress enduced migraines for quite a few years now.

I've been to a MD and have been put on Rx meds to treat @ onset of migraine as well as anti-depressants for preventitive treatment. All that is fine and dandy when I have medical insurance!!

My current situation doesn't allow me to have that. I make too much money to qualify for medicaid (which I really don't, I barely get by) and can't stretch myself any futher to work full time to get it through my job.

5 months ago I decided I wanted a career change. I had been working in pharmacy since I was 19. I enrolled in school. I attend school FT (Mon-Fri 3.5 hours a day) and it's year round. I still have to support myself so I work PT. My work has recently been screwing me over and working me more than I agreed to. I already had to increase from 3 days to 4 days a week (2nd shift).

I know I can handle the balance of school and work majority of the time, but sometimes I get so stressed and feel as if i am just completely burned out. The idea of doing this for the next year has really got me freaked, and starting to bum me out.

This whole thing can be very wordy so w/o getting into everything and more specifics (and more wordy heh) ... any suggestions on what I can to do manage my stress that doesn't involve medicating?

If more details are necessary I'll be happy to give them.

2. Eris

Eris Yes please

3. Mogul

Mogul New Member

I have had some stress problems also. I know this soundes cliched but perhaps it would help to find something you really enjoy doing and dedicate serious time to it. For example, if you like to go hiking, set aside Sundays every week specifically for that purpose and make sure you do it. I think it's a great idea to stick with college, as it will be almost impossible to get a career change any other way. Also, I know that at my college there was student health insurance that you could get for only $60 a semester, and it was good too. Really loook and see if your college offers anything like that. Good luck with everything!

4. Eris

Eris Yes please

It's hard to really set aside a day, because my work keeps changing my schedule on me.

I am supposed to only work Sun-Wed, which gives me Sat as my only FULL day off. School is Mon-Fri. If they would stick to this it'd make life easier, I've explained this time and time again and they don't listen.

This week alone I am scheduled to work 7 days in a row (my last day off was Sat a week ago) I have 2 day more days of work left I get two off and then they have me working this Sat on a night audit, which I don't know, and there is no way I can stay away 11pm-7am. I usually work 7am-3pm on Sun so I am not sure what they're thining, I sure as hell can't pull a double!!!

:noes:

I'll have to look into this INS thing, I attend a private college and it's more like a "technical" school than a JC/University/State. It's accredited and what not - going for my Assoicates as well. I haven't decided if I want to continue through with my BS after I grad here.

5. teo

teo . => ? => !

You're letting yourself be a doormat. Chat with the person doing the schedules at work, and let them know that you can't work on certain days because of other obligations. You'll burn yourself out if you allow this to continue. Stand up for yourself and say 'no'... no one else can do it for you.

6. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

You have to realise you can only put so much hay on your fork before the load because so heavy that you will fall down. You don't want to end up with some nervous break down. You have to understand that YOU can change your life, by making choices, personally i think that your boss pressured you in a position you do not want to be in. I think that you should take that time back or leave your current job. Easier said then done ,maby you can live back with your parents and concentrate fully on your studies(a shot in the deep that it may be)

7. Eris

Eris Yes please

Actually I never said yes. They just did it. I am going to talk to my manager today when I go in.

I tried calling her yesterday, but she didn't return my call. I've already had to co-workers say they'll take the shift from me on Sat.

I won't let this job walk all over me anymore than they already have!!! I won't last another year otherwise. :) Thanks.

8. Eris

Eris Yes please

I was planning on going back into pharmacy after the summer. I don't have my certification test until July. Figure once I get it, I can work PT in a pharmacay and only have to pull 3 days a week because I'll make more. And I'll be sure to tell them the days I can work, and make it VERY CLEAR, at my interview.

I thought I had done it with this job, apparently I didn't!

As for living back home, it's not an option. My mom lives in Ca, my school is in Az. My sister and I are roommates, but that's a whole other mess!!

Like i said, for the most part I can balance the two easily, it took some adjustment, but some days it gets to be too much. The idea of it going on for another year also gets to me. I know I should just focus on taking it day by day instead of looking at the whole picture.

I wonder if taking up yoga or looking into meditationg would help any?

9. Mogul

Mogul New Member

I don't know about that, but I do know that exercise has been a great stress reliever for me. You don't have to be a guy who spends all day trying to get ripped, but you may be suprised what 45 minutes of good exercise can do to fight off stress. :wavey:

10. Eris

Eris Yes please

I hope I don't have to be a guy at all, :mamoru: !!! I've heard the same, I am actually looking to impliment an exercise routine, I just have to review and redo my time management!

:wavey: