console war (over networking)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LudeGuy, Feb 1, 2002.

1. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

I'm deciding which console to buy base on its networking capabilities (consoles linking) but I can't seem to find much info on this. Can anyone show me the light?

2. disord3r

disord3r Guest

I'm going to have to go with the xbox here, mainly because it's built in (no add on's necessary), and it's Ethernet (okay, 1 add-on: an Ethernet cable). I very much like the idea of being able to use my existing broadband connection to make a VPN connection to a friend's network to play multiplayer games. Only works if that friend has an xbox, obviously, but we dont' have to be in the same [room|state|continent].

3. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

that sounds so cool.... right now i'm more inclined to ps2, all because of GT3 :)

does it use computer network cables (like RJ45), or it's got its own? so ps2 is not going to be networkable i assume?

4. no the PS2 and the Gamecube will be networkable as well. The thing is, none of them have worked out networking systems yet, they are all working on deals with various providers. The PS2 has a connector in development, as does the gamecube. the nice thing about the cube is that you can use either dial up or broadband (ethernet) so for those who don't have cable modem availability in their area, they can use the dial up until the cable becomes available.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

If you want to network your consoles, the best one to buy would be Xbox, hands down.

6. too bad the console is overpriced, it sucks, and has no good games out for it.

7. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

Id have to disagree. This system is very nice, has an incredible price for everything that it can do, and MOST of the games are top notch. There are some games that are just crap but you show me a console that EVERY game under its banner is a winner.

Now about that ethernet cable... Its a standard RJ-45 cable. You need to get one of two (or both). If you are playing Xbox Vs. Xbox and you are hooking them up directly to one another then you need a standard crossover cable. If you plan on connection two or more systems with use of a hub then you need to use regular patch cable.

8. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

so.... just a normal computer hub can do the job?

9. you wish. Bill the devil Gates would lose too much money if it only needed a PC hub. naw, he probably rigged it so you have to use an official xbox hub which he will no doubt be more than happy to sell to you for around 150 bones.

someone really needs to kill that bastard.

10. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

yeah, a normal hub will work just fine. Infact, if you hook it to a hub and use your pc with a program called the GameSpy tunnel, you can play Halo, one of the NASCAR games, and one other game online.

Get the Tunnel info here.

NOTE: When asking for Xbox info, please DO NOT listen to Gene Starwind as he has NO IDEA on what he is talking about. That is all. Thank you.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2002
  11. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

kazmont, i think you are the one i should talk to about this. don't get me wrong, i still appreciate any input.

kazmont, so you recommend me to go for xbox, is that it?

12. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

i think its an incredible machine. Basically it boils down to this... looks at the titles availble. Think about which ones you want to play more and go for that. Most good video rental places will rent out consoles along with the games. if you are uncertain just rent one of each and some games... then make your decision.

If you are after good network compaitbility, then my choice is the xbox. I have mine and i love it.

I only make the comment about not listening to him becasue he has posted no valuable info. just that he really doesnt like the machine becasue he is anti microsoft. thats not a good way to judge something.

13. LudeGuy

LudeGuy Active Member

thanks Kazmont. yeah by looking at the hardware ingredients, xbox is the juicest among all. that's what attracts me. but ps2's GT3 is a killer for me..... can't have both worlds :(

14. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

like i said... look at the games... thats what should really determine what console to get. Get the one that you will enjoy the most games on.

15. Wonka

Wonka Guest

Right now, this very second:

Xbox/Gamecube < PS2

In the near future(2-5 months):

PS2 > Xbox > Gamecube

Within the next year:

PS2 = Xbox > Gamecube or even Xbox > PS2 > Gamecube (if PS2 screws up its networking capabilities).

This is all IMO. Gamecube really screwed up with the cartoony feel to its games. I will have to personally view/play the games before my opinion of it will change.

About the networking, if that is going to be your main source of play, get the Xbox. Hands down the best choice right now.

Good luck.

16. wait let me guess, you are refering to the cell shaded Zelda slated for Gamecube release right? Not all GC games have or will have a cartoony feel to them. I think it would be difficult to make GTA3 cartoony. Yes, thats right, Grand Theft Auto 3 will be coming to the Gamecube. it hits the Gameboy Advanced first, then a Gamecube version will follow. Rumor has it, that with both the GBA and GC version, you will be able to link them together to unlock special items, cars, and missions.

As to networking, you have to bear in mind that not all people will have broadband connections like I and others do. This is where Nintendo was smart, they are produceing two seperate networking adapters for the cube. A Broadband connector and a dial-up connector.

17. Kazmont

Kazmont Active Member

That Zelda game looks pretty lame. That would be one of the only two reasons I would own a GC. The other would be Metroid. What they did to the Zelda game is inexcusable. If I want GTA3, I'll wait til I get a PC port or a PS2. One or two games is no reason to get a console. On the other side of the debate, dial up is not a good solution for gaming. It really isnt a good alternative to broadband or LAN. Nintendo screwed up on that.

18. How do you know, not a single screen shot has been released. The ones that have been floating around are fakes. i got this directly from Gamespot. Metroid Prime looks amazing. Also, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle comes out nextr Wednsday (already have my copy reserved), Eternal Darkness is also to be released this month.

I realize that Dial-up sux for gameing, but you have to remember, not everyone is as lucky as we are in haveing a high speed connection. Either through not being able to afford it, not wanting it, or it not being available in their areas. So for those people, what good is a high speed equiped console? they can't use it for online gaming. Thats where Nintendo comes in. On the bottom of the Gameube there are three serial ports for peripherals to connect to. Two regular ports one of which, the GC Dial-up modem will connect to, then there is a high speed serial port which the Ethernet adapter will connect to allowing for high speed internet access. Nintendo didn't screw up at all, they, unlike the other two, wisely offer both options. Where as xbox and PS2 only offer the high speed.

19. Wonka

Wonka Guest

Gene, you've said it yourself. There is no proof of anything GC is doing right now.

The ONLY reason I would purchase a GC is for Zelda and Metroid (just like N64, I only purchased it for Zelda & mario kart - then I sold it). I've said it before, until I see Zelda and Metroid in person, GC will have to take a backseat. I will eat my words, if they prove me wrong.

20. would you like ketchup or mustard for that? Metroid Prime:
    see movies of the game here as well as screen shots and a reveiw:
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/filters/products/0,11114,447244,00.html
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. TypeC

TypeC Guest

HELL YES IT IS! If you're into cars, then GT3 is worth spending $330 on even if that's the only game you ever buy. That's why I got it (and I wanted a DVD player). I've since got other games like GTA3. I love the system!

I've always been a Nintendo guy (I've had them all), but the GC is just gay right now. I know because I bought one for my brother. The only game I like so far is star wars. Hopefully they will get some good titles out. I LOVED ocarina (sp?) of time. All they had to do was make a new game with different levels and I would be happy.

IMO, the games are what a make a system. We've all seen superior systems die because of lack of good software.

-C

22. Wonka

Wonka Guest

Originally posted by Gene Starwind

would you like ketchup or mustard for that? Metroid Prime:

I will be the first to admit when I'm wrong, but I'm still going to wait until I see some actual gameplay.

23. Jester69

Jester69 Guest

GC is pretty weak in my opinion... Played a lot of the games at E3 and was not impressed. Plus Nintendo really censors their games Because they market to younger audiences. So GTA3 on GC is gonna be pretty wuss. No getting health from prostitutes!! GTA3 Will be coming out for XBOX since MS bought the ditribution company of the GTA series. As for network gaming, Broadband is the only good way to play network games, sorry for you dialup people, but chances are your ping rates suck so there is no real enjoyment in playing them.

24. Type C, what about Smash brothers Melee? That game OWNZ as does Extreme G3. Also, Sonic Adventure 2 battle comes out Wednsday.

Wonka, thats your right. and you still didn't answer. would you like ketchup or mustard on those words? :p :fawk:

Jester, You're entitled to your opinion. But Nintendo is not what it once was. And word from the makers of GTA3 is that the Cube version won't be altered much because the developers don't want to butcher it.

25. Wonka

Wonka Guest

When I'm truly proven wrong (by my own eyes :p ;) ) I would like ketchup. Thanks.