SRS consistently late and sleeping in...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by vibit, Apr 14, 2005.

1. vibit

vibit New Member

okay, this may sound kind of stupid and easy to fix, but i have a big problem attempting to. I can never seem to get up on time, am late for exams, work, and important meetings all the time. This has been going on for the last 6 years. I have always been late for school. I can't seem to "get it together". I procrastinate at everything and can't seem to face my problems and stressors head-on. I've tried to but I always seem to fail after a week of being on time and getting things done. What should I do???

2. teo

teo . => ? => !

I used to have that problem... once I started taking pride in my work and putting more importance on being early/on time, everything started to fall into place. I have a clock with two alarms, and I have a light with a timer in my room that turns on every morning so it's hard to sleep in. Also, getting on a regular sleep schedule will really help things... I try not to sleep in on weekends (at least not more than an hour after I would normally get up).

For me, the root of the problem was that I felt I was controlling my own destiny (if you will) by staying up late and waiting til the last possible moment to leave for work and school. In fact, it's way less stressful to get out of the house a little earlier and be fully-prepared for meetings when you arrive.

Oh, and conform to a regular meal schedule if at all possible. That helped me more than anything!

3. Soju N Coke

Soju N Coke New Member

I have the same problem and one way you can start fixing it is to put your clocks 10 minutes (or however much your late) forward. After that Ive been coming on time more often.

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

I tried that, only made things worse cuz i'd remember i had em 10 mins ahead, and then if i was really tired, i'd forget exactly how much ahead they were

in my experience, only thing that worked for me is going to be early so that you wake up 100% refreshed every time, instead of being tired and wanting to sleep more

5. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

although admitting you have a problem is the first step in solving it... you still haven't. ;) my philosophy? we don't change something (usually) unless something negative happens as a result. ie? you're late to work. well.... they COULD fire you. it's as simple as that. i bet that would teach you...and real quick.

now, no one wishes that upon anyone. so what can you do to fix this? it's simple. hold yourself accountable! if you're supposed to be at work at 8am every day, and you aren't, take something away from yourself. the key is, though, it must be something you really like. :dunno: ... could be going out to the bar on the weekend with the boys, working on a hobby... ANYTHING... but it must be something of value. now, only you can be the one to enforce this rule. i find it best to write things down. i'm more apt to follow rules if i see it posted. :dunno: put it on your calendar or your fridge or something.

good luck :)

6. erynne936

erynne936 my av is a car, but i'm a girl. stop calling me b OT Supporter

i used to do the same thing. try to get on a good sleep schedule where you get 8 hrs at least each night. then set 2 alarm clocks (i find the radio to be better than a buzzer). crank them up and put one of the alarm clocks on the far side of the room. and then set your cell phone alarm for 10 minutes later for good measure. good luck.

7. infinite loop

infinite loop Statistically speaking, the Yankees do indeed suck

set your alarm for 1 hour before you're supposed to wake up. buy some caffein and yohombine hcl from www.1fast400.com. when your alarm goes off, immediately take 2 caffein tabs and 2 yohombine caps. set your alarm to wake you in an hour. you'll be wired and ready to go, no problem, the next time your alarm rings.

you'll of course need to cycle these stimulants as you don't want to develop dependancy.

i'm not at all a morning person and this is the method i use several months out of the year to get my ass up early in the morning ot hit the gym :hs:

8. HeatherinWC

HeatherinWC New Member

I've been doing the same thing for years...it doesn't matter if I don't have to be to work till 4pm...I'd still run late, I think I procrastinate and I think I can get things done faster than I really can (I tell myself I can take a shower in 5 min, and stay on the computer a little longer, when in actuality, I need at least 15 min ect.) I think it is lack of motivation and a lack of orginization. I haven't been able to overcome this, I have trained the people around me to accept that I will be 10 minutes late for everything, even my boss accepts it and jokes about it (I am very lucky!) But the multiple alarm clocks does help, and you can purchase an "extra loud" alarm clock at radio shack and it is well worth it...I have also found that having a clock in the bathroom helps, because I will estimate I've been in the shower for 10 min and find out that it was actually 30min and Im screwed! Also, the night before, set the clothes that you are going to wear the next day out so that you are not digging through your closets and drawers in the morning! Good luck!

9. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I think you need to put yourself under pressure to goto bed on time, or even put your clock a few minutes backward, and set your alarmclock to that. If you goto bed earlier and wake up earlier, then you are prepared for your day.

10. teo

teo . => ? => !

I used to have an alarm clock that had a deep, rumbling buzz - not that pesky wah-wah-wah that you don't hear if you're too tired - and every time i heard it it scared the shit out of me. Try that if all else fails...

11. dave steel

dave steel My Kung Fu is the best.

Get more sleep. I bet you stay up too late, then you can't get up in the morning. Have someone get you up, but take action as this is just an issue of immaturity.

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I would definitely reccommend going to bed earlier. Something I do every night before I go to bed is I take a daily inventory, and it helped me to realize that sleeping in late and being late for work screwed up my entire day. If I think about my day and how much better it could have been every night (and I get to sleep early), I usually wake up invigorated.

13. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

1. As already mentioned, set your clocks 10+ minutes ahead, set your alarm to get you up earlier, get more sleep.

2. Before you go to bed, set out the clothes you are going to wear tomorrow, this includes shoes/socks, jewelry etc. Also pack up your bag/backpack/briefcase and leave it on a table closest to the door you will be exiting through.

3. When you get to work first thing, write out a checklist of things you need to get done, and check items off as you go. Set a goal, for example, to do the first 3-4 items before heading off to the water cooler or on a break. take no more than 5 minutes or so for a break, then get back to work. Do a few more items on your list then take a break or if it's lunchtime, head out to lunch, but get back to work immediately after lunch is over. We are getting paid to work not to go to lunch and then take a siesta afterward :p

4. Another already mentioned tip - take pride in your work. It may not be the most glamorous job or a high dollar job, but the company you work for needs someone to do it. I've always been told to dress and perform as if I am working in the job I really want, not the job I am in. The bosses do notice, whether you know it or not. Your work (not the job itself) is a reflection of who you are. If you are flaky on the job, people will assume you are flaky in other areas as well, and you might get passed up for a promotion, or not get as nice of a raise. Like it or not, we must work to have anything. And with the economy and job market being shaky as it is now, I certainly would not to risk losing my job, especially with a mortgage, living expenses, and loans to be taken care of :eek4:

5. Manage your time - you can't change your lazy ways over night but now (not tomorrow) is always a good time to get started.

One source I have found helpful is www.ineedmoretime.com

6. Get organized - if you can get your home, office, and your life organized, you will be amazed at how much spare time you have, so you can actually leave on time ;) See the site listed in #5.

14. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

try 2 alarm clocks.. i have to set my alarm clock and my cell phone alarm or i will end up snoozing over and over and not realize it.

15. johan

johan Active Member

Try this for two weeks.

Because its really hard to get up if you haven't gotten enough sleep, one key to reshaping how you schedule your life, is to schedule your sleep, instead of just sleeping "whenever".

If you know you need 8 hours of sleep to feel refreshed, then set your alarm clock for 8 1/2 hours of sleep, and go to sleep at that time. Just get in bed and lie there.

Eventually your body will become accustomed to sleeping at that hour.
    One less hurdle to getting up without hitting the snooze bar a thousand times.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Could be simple depression... sleep issues, or a thyroid problem. Go see a doctor.

17. bottomline

bottomline Guest

I also have this kind of problem. Being free of a lot of responsibilities people have... work, for instance (I'm a trader. I can wake up whenever I want, although I might miss out on a lot of money some days... :hs: )

I cannot seem to go to sleep the same time I did the night before. A lot of times I go in a 24 hour circle (back to where I started going to sleep at)

I wish I could fix that. :hs:

18. Fucker

Fucker out of the fast lane, bitches

Passive agressive.